18

*Danielle's POV*

"So the only person who has any idea about the ring and the proposal is Este, but I didn't tell her I was doing it on this trip. So it's going to be a big surprise to them." I explain to Carter on our way to my parents house. We got home late last night, and today my family is having a family dinner.

"So how are you going to tell them?" Carter asks.

"I was thinking, we wait until they ask us about the trip, and then we go on to tell them casually. They don't take these things lightly, it will be a big deal."

"Trust me, after two years I think I understand your sisters pretty well. They're going to lose their shit." Carter laughs.

"Exactly."

*

I open the front door to my parents house letting Carter enter first. She messes with the ring on her finger nervously.

"Baby, they're not going to be mad about it. Don't be so nervous." I whisper and kiss her softly.

We walk into the house and into the tv room. Alana and Este are staring at their phones and my parents are still cooking in the kitchen.

"D!!!! I've missed you!" Alana gets up and runs to hug me.

"What about me?" Carter asks.

"I didn't miss you." Alana teases, but attacks her with a hug soon after.

Este makes her way over to me and gives me a tight squeeze. "You did it didn't you?" She whispers in my ear with a big smile. "I saw the ring on her hand."

"Yeah," I smile, "don't say anything yet." I whisper back.

Alana and Carter start their usual play fighting. I don't even know what starts this but it goes on almost constantly when they're together.

"Ow! Fuck! You scratched me with your ring!" Alana screeches. Carter steps back and laughs at her. I can feel that Alana's realization is about to hit and the bomb will go off.
"Oh my god what is this!?" She screams grabbing Carter's left hand. She examines the ring with her mouth open wide. "Oh my god Danielle! what happened in Italy!?"

I just laugh at her waiting for things to calm down.

"What's all the noise in here?" My mom asks as she walks in the room.

"Mom! They're engaged!" Lanzo yells.

"What?" My Dad walks into the room.

"I proposed in Venice on Sunday." I answer their questions. I grab Carter from Alana and make her show my parents the ring.

"This thing is legal?" Dad asks.

"Yeah of course." I smile thinking he's joking, but he isn't showing any sign of happiness while my mother and sisters are freaking out.

My mom steals the ring from Carter and slips it on her pinky finger. "Wow this is beautiful Dani!"

"Let me try!" Lanzo says taking the ring from my mother. She puts it on and Este soon steals it from her.

"Be careful with that! It wasn't cheap." I warn them.

"Shit." Este says and everyone goes silent. What could she have possibly done? "It's stuck." She says trying to pull it off.

"It's not stuck stop teasing." I step in and try to pull it off. Her finger is going purple from the circulation being cut off. I pull as hard as I can and nothing budges. "I swear to god I'm not taking you to the emergency room for this."