Chapter 6

Roman's house is massive. It looked like a castle that belonged in a fairy tale movie. It had grey stone with bushes and vines covering the sides. The long drive way was bendy and long. We get out of his car and walk to the front entrance.

"My mom is a bitch," Roman tells me as he opens the large wooden door. "Just a heads up."

"Good to know," I mumble, following him inside. The foyer was extremely fancy with a large stair case and elegant wallpaper. It was decorated with vintage vases and paintings. It was breathtaking.

I hear the sound of heels against the marble flooring. A women with dark long hair turns around the corner. She was wearing a white dress with a silk shawl, showing off her perfectly tanned legs.

"Hey darling," she greets, smiling at Roman. She has a British accent. "Who is this?" She looks at me up and down with her dark eyes.

"A friend," Roman bluntly replies.

"I'm Elsie," I awkwardly say, my voice sounding small.

"Olivia," she responded. I give her a small smile, trying to ease the awkward tension in the air.

Roman grabs my hand. "C'mon, let's go upstairs."

We are halfway up the stairs when Olivia calls, "Dinner is in a few hours, Roman. You'll have to bid goodbye to your friend. The chef is only making enough for three."

Roman ignores her, grabbing my hand tighter as we go down a large hallway. He opens the door to his bedroom. The floor was littered with clothes and cigarette butts. His bed was unmade, the blankets and sheets folded in odd directions. His nightstand had a small zip lock bag of white powder. He quickly grabs it and shoves it in his pocket.

"Sorry," he apologized, scratching his head. "If I would have known a pretty girl was coming over, I would have cleaned up."

I could feel myself blush slightly. We take off our coats and sit on the bed. I trace the silk sheets with my hands.

"Are you feeling any better?"

"A little bit," I shrug. I couldn't get the image of Peter's skin ripping and the sound of his bones breaking out of my head. "It's weird. I never imagined werewolves being real. It makes you wonder what else is out there."

"I hope nothing else is out there," Roman jokes, but I could tell a part of him was serious. "How fucked would it be if zombies were real?"

"Okay, that is where I draw the line," I chuckle.

We continue to talk. I ask him about the large skyscraper with his last name on it that looked like it belonged in New York City. He tells me his family owns it and how it will be his once he turns eighteen. Roman asks me questions about my family and my life. I tell him about my old town and how my mother just recently passed away. We listened to each other for a long time and I could see the sun disappearing over the horizon. We stared at the ceiling, my head resting against his chest.

"My dad killed myself," Roman whispers after a few moments of silence. "I found his body. His brains scattered everywhere. My mom just sat there acting like nothing happened."

"Roman," I whisper quietly, looking up at him. "I'm so sorry."

I knew what it felt like to lose a parent. I watched my mom suffer for months before the cancer finally took her. It was the hardest time of my time, but I couldn't imagine finding one of parents like that.

Roman pulls me closer to him and holds me tightly before saying, "I better take you home."

I grab my phone and look at the time. It was almost ten o'clock. I nod in agreement and slowly get out of his bed. We put on our shoes and coats. Roman grabs his car keys and we exit his room.

As we are walking down the hallway, we see Shelley. She was already dressed in her pajamas and it looked like she was about to go to bed. She sees us and smiles, her face turning a light blue. It was something I had never seen before, but I didn't question it after watching my friend turn into a werewolf earlier. Anything was possible.

"Hey, Shell," Roman smiles, giving her a hug. He looked so small compared to her.

She grabs her phone and begins typing something. "You missed dinner."

"I know," Roman replies. "I wasn't hungry."

"Hi Elsie," the electronic voice says. Shelley gives me a small smile and waves.

"Hi," I smile back. "How is your art project coming along?" I ask. We had art together and we were assigned to do a watercolor painting.

"Good. I'm almost done," she types. "Would you like to see it?"

"Yeah, of course!"

The three of us go up a set up stairs. Shelley's room was in the attic, so it was ginormous. It was light pink, with a large bed and desk. Her easel was placed next to the window. I walk over and admire her work. It was a painting of a sunset. The oranges, yellows, and reds were mixed together to create a beautiful painting.

"This is amazing," I tell her truthfully. Her face lights up blue again. "You should see mine. I'm not sure what it even is because the colors just blended together and created an ugly brown color."

Shelly giggles before typing, "Thank you."

"Elsie and I better go," Roman chimes in, grabbing my hand. "I'll see you tomorrow, Shell. Sleep tight."

Shelly is smiling as we exit her room. We get into his car and the drive is silent as he takes me home. Tonight, I got to know Roman in more ways than I could have imagined. We told each other our secrets and feelings. I have never experienced anything like that before and the more time I spent with Roman, the more I dreaded being away from him. We eventually pull up in front of my house. The light in the living room was on, so I knew my dad was waiting for me.

"Thank you," Roman says once he shuts the car off. My street is dark and quiet as we sit there.

"For what?"

"For being so nice to Shelly. Most girls are fucking brutal towards her."

"I like Shelly," I reply, unbuckling my seat belt. "She's so sweet."

"Yeah she is," Roman said. I reach for the car door handle, but he stops me. "Wait."

"What?"

Roman places his hand on the back of my head and pulls me closer. I could feel his hot breath on my lips. "Can I kiss you?"

"You didn't ask the first time," I whisper as I stare into his green eyes. "Why would you now?"

Roman smirks and kisses me. The kiss was hard, our tongues immediately intertwining. I grab onto his hair and gently tug on it. His arms wrap around my waist eagerly. The temperature in the small car immediately rises. Roman groans against my lips, "You don't know how bad I want you, Elsie."

I pull away and rest my forehead on his. "Maybe one day," I joke before getting out of the car.

I'm almost to my front door when Roman unrolls his window. "Hey, I'm picking you up and taking you to school tomorrow!" He shouts. I give him a thumbs up and smile before entering my house.

What a strange day.