Chapter 7

The next morning, Roman is parked outside of my house. I grab my backpack and go outside. The weather was nice and sunny. The leaves were beginning to change colors and it was getting colder each day.

"Hey," I greet Roman as I get into his car.

"Hi," he smiles. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks," I look down and blush. Roman starts the car and begins driving. I notice he doesn't go in the direction of our school. "Where are we going?" I ask, raising my eyebrows.

"To see Peter."

"He's back? Already?"

"Yeah," Roman says. "He only turns on a full moon."

I run my fingers through my hair. "Oh my God, this is so fucking weird. I can't believe this shit is actually real."

Roman puts his hand on my thigh and squeezes it gently. "I know, it's crazy."

We arrive at Peter's house, however he was nowhere to be found. Roman and I sit on the couch while Lynda makes breakfast. Roman lays down and put his head on my lap. I run my fingers through his soft hair while we anxiously wait for Peter to return.

Finally, Peter comes through the door. He only had a blanket wrapped around his waist and he was shaking. Roman sits up and grabs a cigarette before lighting it. We watch Peter hesitantly walk down the hallway. He returns wearing some sweats and a t-shirt. Lynda hands him something to drink. He sits in the chair next to us, obviously exhausted.

Roman leans forward, blowing smoke out of his cigarette. "So, how was it?"

"Something was out there," Peter mumbles, putting his rings back on. "A scent," he finishes.

"Of what?" I ask. "A milk bone?"

Peter and Roman laugh. Peter turns and looks at Lynda who was standing in the kitchen. "Something bad," Peter starts, now being serious. "Look, last night. You two are the only ones that know. I need you to keep it that way."

"Who would I tell?" Roman questions and Peter doesn't say anything. Roman holds three fingers up. "Scout's honor."

Peter sighs and leans back into the chair. Roman stands up, grabbing his cigarettes and putting them in his back pocket. I stand up and grab our coats from the coat rack.

"I'm gonna take Elsie to school. Should I pick you up later?" Roman asks Peter, but he was already asleep.

"Poor thing," Lynda mutters, stroking his hair back. "The turn. It really takes it out on him." We go to leave when she continues, "Elsie, Roman? Scout's honor, right?"

"Yes, ma'am."

-

Roman and I were late to first period, but my teacher luckily gave me a warning. It was now lunch and I was headed to my locker to put stuff away.

"Hey. Hey, sweetheart. It's okay," I hear someone say down the hall. I glance and see a group of freshman standing around something. Curious, I go see what is happening.

"You can tell us. We're your friends," a boy says. "Us freshman, we gotta stick together."

"Come on. What'd you eat first? I mean, I know what I'd eat first."

"Who tasted better? Gotta be Brooke, right? I mean, she was good to go."

When I see what is going on, my heart sinks to my stomach. The freshman were standing around Shelly. She had her head in her arms as she sat and cried.

"Seriously?" I shout, crouching down next to Shelly. "Leave her the fuck alone!"

"Or what?" The freshman with brown hair pushes.

I rub Shelly's back to try and sooth her. "Hey, it's okay," I whisper as she continues to sob.

"Fuck," the blonde hair freshman whispers, the group looking down the hall.

I look up and see Roman turning around the corner. His hands were balled into fists and his face was filled with hate and disgust. Roman kneels down next to us and wraps his arms around Shelly.

"Hey, sorry! We didn't know what was wrong. She just started crying and shit and we were trying to help her," one of them lies. They were obviously scared of Roman.

"No, you fucking liar!" I yell, standing up. "You were asking her how it felt to kill Brooke! I swear to God-"

"Hey," Roman interrupts, putting a hand on my shoulder. "It's okay. I'll take care of them."

Roman is hovering over the small freshman. He looks into the blonde freshman's eyes and says, "Kiss him."

"What?" They look at each other in disbelief. The other freshman begin laughing and snickering. The blonde hair boy turns pale as he itches closer to the other boy.

"Kiss his pretty little mouth."

The blonde kid's smile fades and he leans in and quickly kisses the other freshman. The group starts laughing loudly. He pulls away and runs off.

"Get the fuck out of here!" Roman yells to the rest of them. He grabs a handkerchief from his back pocket because his nose starts bleeding. I didn't understand how Roman could do that. First, he was able to make the police officers leave. Then, he just made two boys kiss. His nose also starting bleeding after each time.

"Are you okay?" I ask and he nods.

"Will you take care of her? I need to go find Peter."

I nod and Roman walks away. I help Shelly up and take her into the bathroom. I reach into my bag and grab a small hair brush. I stand on my tippy toes and try to brush her black hair. After, I hand her some tissues. She uses them to whip her tears away and blow her nose.

"I'm so sorry, Shelly," I sigh. "Those freshman are fucking idiots. Don't ever listen to them, okay? You are beautiful and one of the sweetest girls I have ever met."

She looks up and smiles. "Thank you Elsie," she types into her phone.

I give her a hug. "I'm always here for you," I tell her honestly. "So is Roman, okay?" Shelly nods and I smile. "Okay, are you ready to go back to class now?" She nods again.

I walk Shelly to her class. I didn't feel like going to history. I decide to go outside to try and find Roman and Peter. I eventually find Peter, who was storming out of a stairwell.

"Hey!" I shout at him. He turns around and doesn't say anything. "Are you okay? What's wrong?"

"Nothing," he lies. He was shaky and upset.

"Peter, talk to me."

"No! I'm done talking," he hissed before taking off.

What the fuck was his problem? Did something happen last night after he turned? Did I do something wrong? Endless questions ran through my mind. Sighing, I decide to look for Roman. I open the large metal door leading to the staircase. I find Roman sitting there, smoking a cigarette. He also look very upset.

"Roman?"

"What do you want?" He mumbles, blowing smoke into the air. He doesn't look away from the ground.

"What happened with you and Peter?"

"Doesn't matter." I kneel down in front of him. I grab the cigarette from his hands and put it out. "What the fuck, Elsie?" Roman groans.

"Tell me what happened," I continue to push. "You and Peter are not going to leave me out."

"I already told you, it doesn't fucking matter," he sneers through his teeth before abruptly standing up. "Now, leave me the fuck alone."

"No."

"Elsie," he warns.

"Roman."

"God dammit," he snarled. His long legs stride up the stairs, his hand the handle. "Don't try to find me," he seethed before disappearing out the door.