Chapter 31

"I'll see you later, Elsie!"

I smile at Holly, putting my apron away and leaving the coffeehouse. I was extremely exhausted since I didn't get any sleep last night. I was tossing and turning, worried sick about Roman. I haven't seen or heard from him since the incident at the white tower.

As I am driving home, I luckily get a phone call from him. I quickly answer it, "Roman," I breathe. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," he tells me, but I could tell in his voice that he wasn't being entirely true.

"Where did you go? After you ran away and left?"

"Just had to clear my head," Roman coughed. "I'm better now. I got my first treatment today from Dr. Pryce. Hopefully, I won't have to be like this for much longer."

I remember Roman talking about the treatments when he first told me about Nadia and his condition. "Did it hurt?"

"Like a fucking bitch," he chuckles halfheartedly. "Look, I'm headed home now and I would like to see you."

"Okay," I turn the car down a street that took me toward his house. "I'll be there in a minute."

"I love you."

I smile. "I love you."

Thankfully, Miranda was no where to be found when I arrive. I greet Conway, the butler, and sit down on the couch and wait for Roman. I am scrolling through my phone when the door bell rings. Conway opens it and greets, "Madam, what a pleasant surprise. Please, come in."

I turn my head around and see Olivia. I immediately feel uncomfortable and quickly send Roman a text, telling him she was here.

"Is Roman in?"

"He isn't," Conway replies.

Olivia walks around the house, looking at it carefully. We make eye contact and her face scrunches in annoyance. "I see Roman's little friend is," she mutters. I notice her British accent was gone.

"Why are you here?" I question, arching my eyebrow. "Roman has made it very clear that he doesn't want you around."

"I came to see my granddaughter," she simply replies before turning to Conway. "Would you bring her to me, please?"

"No, Conway, don't," I quickly say and he nods prominently. Olivia was evil and she did not need to be around Nadia. I check my phone again to see if Roman had replied.

Olivia scoffs. "Oh, for God's sake, Conway. Don't listen to this silly young girl."

"I'm under strict order."

"You disappoint me," she sighs, her black hair swaying as she shakes her head. "Perhaps you'll reconsider in light of our-"

Roman bursts through the front door. "What are you doing here?" He shouts, pointing at Olivia. His voice was raspy and deep. "You were under orders. Why'd you let her in?"

Olivia stands up, holding her hands in the air. "It's okay, it's okay. I just had a very informative discussion with Pryce. I know exactly what you're up to. I just can't, for the life me, figure out why."

"I have no intention of living out my life as a literal parasite," he hisses, looking at his mother in disgust. "Pathetic, burrowing, semi-human tick."

"You have no heart."

"It's hereditary."

Her eyes are glassy. "Roman, I know I've been a less than perfect mother-"

"If you ever come back here again, it won't be your tongue I'll rip out," he threatens, stepping closer. "It'll be your lungs. Conway, will you show this women to the door?"