Chapter 37

It was the next day and Roman was at the white tower while I was watching Nadia. I set her down on the soft rug and grab the basket full of toys. I take out the colorful blocks and put them in front of her. She grabs one with her tiny hands and tries to put into her mouth.

I chuckle, pulling it away. "Silly, those aren't for eating."

Nadia coos and I decide to play peekaboo with her. I close my eyes and exclaim, "Peekaboo!" This makes Nadia laugh loudly. I do it one more time, however when I open my eyes, I am suddenly taken back. Her name was written in the colorful blocks.

"Did you do that?" I question, my eyebrows raised.

Nadia giggles and I shake my head. I sure as hell didn't spell out her name, so it had to be her, though I wasn't sure how that was even possible. I pick her up and say, "Let's go get something to eat, yeah?"

We go into the kitchen and I begin preparing her a snack. She was sitting in the high chair, her blue eyes watching curiously. Miranda was in her bedroom, avoiding me, which I didn't mind at all.

The day continues on and it was late afternoon when I put Nadia down for her nap. I was still confused about the blocks and I couldn't find any logical reason as to how she could have done that. My phone rings and it is Roman calling.

"Hi," I greet.

"Hey," he says. "How's babysitting?"

"Good," I smile. "She just went down for a nap. How's the white tower?"

Roman sighs. "I'm getting ready for my treatment. I'm hoping this will be the last one," he tells me.

"Really? That's good!"

"Yeah," he coughs. "Hey, have you heard from Peter?"

"No," I said slowly. "Why? Is something wrong?"

"I've just tried calling him a couple of times, but he hasn't answered," Roman explains and I wondered what Peter could possibly be up to. I just figured he was still mad about our little argument and that's why he hasn't tried talking to me.

"I'll let you know if I hear from him," I reassure and the door bell rings. "Hey, I gotta go. Someone is here. I love you, okay?"

"I love you," he says and as I am hanging up the phone, I hear him ask, "Wait, who-"

The door suddenly opens, revealing Peter. My eyes widen in shock when I see the state he was in. He was holding onto his stomach, bruises and blood covering his body. Destiny was with him and I immediately help her take Peter to the couch.

"What happened?" I ask in disbelief.

"Do you have a first AID kit?"

I nod and quickly go retrieve it. I watch as Destiny wraps a bandage around a stab wound on his leg. His torso was covered in dark red bruises. I go into the kitchen to get him some water while Miranda comes out of her room to see what is going on.

"Oh my God," she mutters after looking at Peter. "We need to get him to a hospital."

Destiny shakes her head. "No."

The doorbell rings once again, and I had no idea who that could be since everyone besides Roman was here. Destiny quickly gets up to answer it. An older man with a scrubby beard walks in.

"He's in there," I hear Destiny tell him. "Can you just tell me that he's gonna be alright?"

I hand Peter the glass of water and carefully sit down next to him. "What I can tell you is when I return him, the vargulf will be cast out," he explains. "What I cannot tell you is whether he'll be alive or dead. But it is certain that if it is not done, more death will follow."