Chapter 44

It was the next morning and when I got out of bed, Roman was asleep in a chair outside our bedroom, a large axe rested in his lap. He insisted he stay up and watch the house just in case another one of those creatures tried to attack again.

"Roman," I say, gently shaking his body. "Wake up."

Slowly, he opens his green eyes and sits up, looking around as if he didn't know where he was. I sit down next to him and rub his shoulder soothingly.

"Hi," he said with a raspy voice. I smile and go into the kitchen. I grab two mugs and fill them up with the nutrient, hoping my stomach would be able to handle it. I needed to feed because I was already dropping weight like crazy. My body couldn't seem hold down anything.

I hand Roman the mug once he joins me in the kitchen. We lean against the counter in silence, drinking the liquid.

"What do you think it was?" I ask him. "I mean, Annie didn't even have any answers."

"Where is she anyways?"

"I told her she could sleep in the upstairs guest bedroom," I tell him and he nods. Speaking of Annie, she comes down the stairs, wrapped in one of my bathrobes. She was fresh out of the shower and I internally groan. Did her and Miranda not know what clothes were?

"Rich people always have the best bathrooms," she chuckles, pulling the towel off of her head. "It's a bright, sunny morning in the Age of Aquarius, and that meth head is somewhere else by now."

"Yeah, that wasn't a meth head," Roman says, crossing his arms. "I'm not even sure it was human. Whatever the fuck it was, it went straight for Elsie's chest."

"Yeah, but you're safe now," Annie replies simply. The air was silent and stiff for a moment. "And I should be getting back to my hotel."

"So, you are disappearing, huh?"

"Didn't mean to ruin your breakfast," she calls, pointing at our mugs as she walks toward the stairs.

"How often do you feed?" I ask.

She turns around, looking confused as if I just asked a dumb question. "When I'm hungry."

"What do you do with the bodies?"

"You actually think I kill people?" Annie questions with her eyebrows raised and Roman and I look at each other, puzzled.

"Don't you?" I ask.

"No," she replies slowly. "I mean, not anymore. It's not like we're still living in the Dark Ages. Hasn't anyone shown you two?

"Show us what?"

"How to live in the wild," she chuckles.

I step closer to Roman. Maybe, Annie could help us figure out how to live like this. I couldn't keep drinking that horrible nutrient. I was constantly thirsty and I felt slightly miserable. I could tell Roman was getting sick of it as well.

"We are the only upirs I know," Roman explains.

She looks at the both of us intently. "What about your parents?"

I stiffen and Roman takes notice so he answers for us. "We are self-starters."

Annie is silent for a moment before speaking, "Well, I certainly don't go around butchering people. Most of us work in jobs that keep us close to blood - doctors, lab techs, EMTs."

"And where do you fit in?" I question. She was being bombarded with a million questions, but I didn't care.

"ER nurse."