Chapter 15

After getting Roman's red car back, I squeeze uncomfortably in the middle. Peter doesn't know how to drive stick, so we spent the majority of the time laughing when he would stall the car. Eventually, he got the hang of it and we drove to a construction site next to some water.

"Why are we stopping?" I ask, the wind wrapping around my face.

"Because someone needs to say it," Peter replies. "The vargulf is my problem. I'm the one on the hook."

"And?"

"Why are you guys here?"

"You know why," Roman slowly said.

I knew why I was there. I was dragged into this shit. So naturally, I wanted to help. We had done so many things, it just made since that we finished this together.

"I thought I did, for a while," Peter spoke. "Then it all went to shit. Tell me why you guys want to come with me tonight."

"It's not about being a hero," Roman tells him and I nod in agreement.

"Are you sure about that?"

Roman sniffles. The weather felt cold as the wind blew. I wrap my coat closer to my body. "I'm sorry for being a pain in your balls, okay? I got confused. Things are clearer now," Roman says as he pulls me closer to him.

Peter rubs his face and sighs. "At what point does trusting you make me a fucking idiot?"

"We all have a common goal," I chime in. "We don't want anyone else to get hurt."

"Someone is," Peter huffs and I frown. "Tonight."

"I know," Roman pushes his hair away from his face. "Look, I just wanna be your friend. You shouldn't be out there alone and I'm sure Elsie agrees."

"Simple as that," Peter mumbles before starting the car again. Roman tells us that he needs to make a quick errand at the school. Peter and I wait as he does whatever he needs to do. He grabs a joint from his pocket and lights it, the strong scent of marijuana filling the air immediately.

"Elsie, I hope you know that you don't have to be apart of this," he says before passing the joint to me. It burns my throat as I inhale the smoke.

"I know," I reply. "I'm here because I want to be. You heard what Roman said, we're your friends and want to help."

He sighs. "I never apologized for what I did at the mill. I was just so fucking frustrated that I wasn't thinking."

"It's okay," I tell him honestly. We continue to pass the joint back and forth. My body was starting to relax and my throat was getting dry. "Do you love her?"

"Who?"

"Don't play stupid," I chuckle. "You know who I am talking about."

"Yeah," he admits, his eyes getting glassy. "But, I doubt she will never talk to me again after what I said."

"Apologize," I shrug. "Show her how sorry you are."

"I will eventually. I just didn't want her to be apart of this shit."

I take another hit. "You and Roman suck with girls," I chuckle and he laughs, agreeing. We continue to smoke before Roman comes back.

Our next stop is at the mill. Roman and Peter were leaning against the car as I sat in the front seat, dazed and slightly tired. Roman lights a cigarette and asks, "Are you sure about this?"

"Are you?"

They are silent for a moment. "I'll be able to pick up its scent from where it left the girl," Peter explains.