Chapter 26

The next day, Meredith insisted that I go wedding dress shopping in Pittsburgh. It was going to be an overnight trip, and I really wasn't looking forward to it. It wasn't that I didn't like Meredith, I just had other things to do. Plus, her best friend, Erica, was tagging along as well and I felt like the third wheel. 

The drive was extremely long and I was bored. Luckily, the tall skyscrapers were in view and I felt relieved that I didn't have to be stuck in the car for much longer. 

After we check into the hotel, we eat lunch before going to the dress store. Erica and I sit in awkward silence as Meredith tried on dresses. It took at least fifteen dresses and one bottle of champagne before she finally found one she loved. It was a beautiful mermaid style dress with sparkly sequins. I couldn't help but think about my mother and how one day I will never get to go wedding dress shopping with her, but at least I had Meredith who was extremely nice and I could tell she loved my dad. 

We ate dinner and then went back to the hotel. I found myself checking my phone constantly because Roman was barely texting me back. I step outside and onto the balcony that overlooked the city, my phone dialing Roman. 

He answers after a few short rings. "Hi." 

"Hi," I say, looking at the twinkling lights of Pittsburgh. "Are you okay? I haven't really talked to you today."

"Uh, yeah," he coughs. "Everything is fine. I've just been dealing with some stupid fucking dipshits at the white tower." 

I chuckle. "It's weird that you run a company," I said. "How's Nadia?" 

"She's good," is all he says. "I haven't really seen her today."

"Don't forget that she needs to be in her walker at least once a day, okay?" I tell him. Nadia was growing up quickly and she needed to develop skills. 

"I'll make sure," he laughs lightly. "When are you coming back to Hemlock Grove?" 

"Tomorrow morning, but I work at the coffeehouse in the afternoon." 

"Alright," Roman says and I hear someone talking in the background. "I gotta go. I'll talk to you later, okay?" 

I frown. "Okay," I slowly say. "Have a good night, Roman."

"You too." 

He quickly hangs up. I sigh, wondering why he was acting so weird. Do I trust Roman? I mean, he said he had cheated on me with two other girls while we were together the first time, but he also told me he wanted to make this work. I felt confused and slightly upset. I had a bad feeling as I went back inside to get ready for bed. 

The next morning, we arrive home just before my shift begins. I still haven't heard from Roman ever since our weird phone conversation, but I tried my best to brush it off. I'm sure he was just busy with the white tower. Holly and I were stocking items and cleaning up when a girl with blonde hair comes in. She was really pretty and had a septum piercing and bright eyes. I noticed she had a bandage on her head with dried blood around the edges. 

"Hello," I greet with my costumer service voice. "What can I get for you?" 

"Just a regular latte, please," she says after scanning the menu. I tell her the total and she fumbles through her bag, pulling out two crumpled one dollar bills. "Uh, this is all I got." 

"You know what, it's on the house today," I say with a smile. It was only a three dollar drink, so it wasn't a big deal. Holly begins working on the order.

Her face immediately lights up. "Really? Are you sure?" 

"Yeah," I chuckle. "Don't worry about it."