Chapter 14

I end up sleeping until the next day, which was thankfully Saturday. I convince my dad to let me go get some things from the store. I am walking down the sidewalk, almost to the general store when Peter's station wagon pulls over onto the side of the road.

"Elsie!" Peter shouts, unrolling the window. "I need to talk to you."

I shake my head and keep moving. "Yeah? Well, I don't need to talk to you."

"I'm serious," he yells, driving slowly next to me. "It's about Roman."

"I don't care."

"He is in a coma," Peter blurts and I immediately stop walking. My chest tightens and my heart feels like it is in my stomach. "He had an accidental overdose."

Without hesitating, I get into his car. My mind is in shock and my eyes were burning. Even though I lied to myself and said I wanted nothing to do with Roman, I still cared about him with all my heart. "W-What? No, no. I can't believe this. Is he going to be okay?"

"I don't know," he huffs, shifting the van into gear. "He is at his house right now."

"What? Why is he at his house? He should be in a fucking hospital!"

Peter runs his fingers through his hair. "Shit, I don't know. I just wanted you to know what was going on."

"Thank you," I say honestly. "I really appreciate it."

We arrive at Roman's house. Peter rings the doorbell and we wait silently. Olivia opens it, her face clearly displeased as she stared at the both of us.

"Hello," is all she says. She looks tired, her eyes puffy and red.

Peter pulls out a little gold statue from his coat pocket. "I brought this. For him." Olivia takes it in her hand and studies it. "I thought it might help him with his...travels."

"Thank you," she says with a small smile. "I believe it will. Would you like to, uh, come see him upstairs?"

"Uh, no," Peter stutters. "I'm actually pretty fucking bad at these things."

"I will," I interrupt. I wanted to see Roman. I needed to see him so I knew this was real. "I'll be right back, okay?" I tell Peter and he nods.

Olivia opens the door wider, letting me in. I follow her up the stairs and toward the attic. I was confused when she went into Shelly's room. I see Roman, laying in a gurney. An oxygen tub and IV were connected to him. The sounds of his heart monitor beeped throughout the room. My heart shattered and I couldn't help it when tears fell out of my eyes.

"I'll leave you two alone," Olivia mutters before disappearing. I slowly walk over to Roman and stroke his hair away from his face. He looked pale and cold.

"Roman," I whisper through tears. "Why did you do this? This wasn't suppose to happen. You need to come back," I take a breath and say, "I love you, Roman. Even though you frustrate and drive me crazy, I love you."

I couldn't believe I admitted that. I really loved Roman. I loved the way he made me feel. I love the way he could make me so happy, yet so sad. I loved everything about him, the good and the bad. He was special and I didn't want to lose him. It sucked that this is what it took for me to realize all this.

I sit with him for a while. I hear footsteps approaching and Shelly is standing in the doorway. "Hi," she types into her phone. I stand up and give her a hug. "Do you mean it?"

"Mean what?"

"That you love him," the electronic voice answers. "I wasn't eavesdropping, I promise. I just couldn't help but overhear."