Chapter 43

"Roman, I am telling you! That girl is stalking us." 

He laughs, opening the front door to our house. "Els, baby," he chuckles. "I'm sure it's just a coincidence."

"I don't think so," I shake my head while I take off my coat. 

Roman goes to the fridge and pulls out a jar filled with a nutrient that Dr. Pryce gave us. It wasn't nearly as good as human blood. It was like brussel sprouts compared to pizza, no one wants the disgusting vegetable over the delicious pizza.

"Here," Roman says, handing me the glass.

I scrunch my nose as the liquid goes down my throat, only satisfying a little speck of my needs. I set the jar down and I immediately feel sick. Covering my mouth, I run toward the nearest bathroom and throw up. 

Roman quickly opens the door, his eyes filled with worry and concern. He kneels down next to me and holds my hair back as I continued to throw up. Once there was nothing left in my stomach, I slowly lean away from the toilet. 

"This is gross," I mumble, sniffling. 

He grabs a damp washcloth and places it on my forehead. "Was it the blood?"

I shrug weakly. "I don't know. How are you feeling?"

"I feel fine."

A million things were running through my head. "Roman, what if my body is rejecting the nutrient? What if I can only have a certain kind?"

He stands up. "I'm sure that is not the case. I'll talk to Dr. Pryce about it tomorrow, but it's probably just a bug or something," Roman holds his hand out. "Come on. Let's get you to bed."

Roman pulls me up from the bathroom floor. I wash my face and brush my teeth for a good ten minutes. After changing into some pajamas, we climb into bed. 

His breathing slows down and I knew he was almost asleep, however I couldn't go to bed myself. I kept tossing and turning, thinking about different things, but mostly Annie. I knew there was something going on with her and I don't think I would be able to rest properly until I figured it out. 

"Roman?" I whisper into the dark room. I sit up slightly and shake his body. 

"Hmm?"

"I can't sleep," I frown and he opens his eyes slowly. "I can't stop thinking about that girl, Annie. I have a feeling. I-I don't know what exactly it is, but I need to figure out who she is."

"Elsie," he groans into his pillow. "Will you please let this go? I'm sure it is nothing, okay? Now, go to sleep."

"Let's try and talk to her," I suggest. "Let's just see what she wants."

"If I say yes, will you please go to sleep?"

"Yes."

"Okay, then fine," Roman mumbles and I smile. "Now, go to bed you little shit."

"I love you," I say, cradling closer to him. 

"I love you too."

I close my eyes and eventually drift off to sleep. 

-

"Okay, just be yourself," I tell Roman, fixing his shirt. We were standing outside the bar. We had visited here earlier, and the bartender told us that Annie had been coming around this time of night. The plan was to have Roman seduce her and hopefully get some idea of who she was. 

"This is fucking ridiculous," he groans as we walk into the musty bar. "Didn't Peter hook up with her? Why can't he do this?"

I shake my head. "No, he said by the time he got up, she was gone," I push him toward the end of the bar. "Okay, go sit there and look sexy. Remember, we gotta act like we aren't together."