Chapter 36

"So, you eat blood?"

I roll my eyes at Miranda. "Technically, you can't eat blood. You drink it."

"It's not eating per se," Roman explains. "It's, uh, sort of a feeding."

"Oh, God," Destiny mutters, shaking her head. She was pacing in front of us, a knife in her hand for some reason while Peter, Miranda, Roman, and I sat on the couch. I was cradling Nadia, who was thankfully safe and sound.

Miranda looks at Peter. "And you maul people to death?"

"No, I don't actually," he scoffed. "I was defending myself. And what neither of you know is that Roman hates the way he is. He's getting treatments.

Nadia whimpers slightly and Roman reaches to touch her. Destiny quickly pulls the knife on him and he backs away, his hands in the hair.

"You stay away from that baby!"

"Excuse me?"

"You killed two people!" She shouts, looking between us. "Why?"

"They were from the dreams!" Peter explains.

"I knew it!" Destiny yells, the knife now pointed directly at her cousin. "I told you to stay away!"

"Will you put the knife down? You're not gonna stab us," he hisses and she slowly lowers the sharp weapon.

"Don't push it," she mutters before backing off.

"Miranda, you had the dream too," Roman starts, looking at her. "So, you recognized the house, right? The kid? The guy in the mask? The bees? We had to do it! Tell her."

She thinks for a moment before asking, "They really tried to kill that little boy?"

"Yeah, they've killed at least six that we know about," Peter explains. "So far."

"Who are they?" Miranda questions. "I mean, why am I even having the same dreams as you?"

Peter sighs. "I don't know," he glances at Destiny. "And I'm sorry that I lied. But, we are getting these dreams for a reason."

"You're not gonna give this up, are you?" Destiny asks and Peter says no. "Then, you're an idiot. And so am I." She begins going into another room and Peter stands up.

"So, you're gonna help?"

"Well, I don't see that I have any other choice under the circumstances!" She exclaims before Peter gives her a hug. They pull away and Destiny goes to retrieve something. She returns with a book and sits down on the couch.

"So, the dream was, um, clearest when we were with Miranda," Roman tells her and I internally groan.

"Okay," Destiny said, opening the book. "I can use that."

"Hold on," Miranda chimes in. "What do you want me to do? I-I'm freaking out here."

"Well, it's about to get a lot freakier," Destiny rolls her eyes. "So if you want out, now is your chance."

"We need you," Roman looks at her and she nods hesitantly.

"The Femeia Inecata might work," Destiny sighs before shutting the book and getting up. "Come on."

Peter follows. "What? The bathtub again?"

"Yeah, but this time is a little different," I hear her call from another room. "You have to drown me."

We gather the materials Destiny had us fetch. I put Nadia down for a nap because she was getting a little fussy. I am getting a tray of ice when my phone starts buzzing. I look at the caller ID. It was my dad.