Chapter 53

"I can't believe how big she is."

Roman shakes his head, chuckling slightly as he leans against the doorway. We were able to kill Spivak and find Nadia. It definitely wasn't easy, but between the three of us, we were able to do it. Now, we were back home. I was laying in our bed with a sleeping Nadia cradled in my arms. She was so beautiful and had grown so much since the last time I saw her.

He strides across the room and grabs his coat. I raise my eyebrows, "Where are you going?"

"I need a drink," Roman sighs. "Are you alright here?"

I nod. "Yeah, but Roman, we just got Nadia back. You don't have to leave."

"Elsie, I killed my best friend's cousin," Roman whispers. "I have to live with that for the rest of my life."

-

It was the next morning and I was extremely worried. Roman didn't come home last night and I had called him numerous times and left many messages. I also tried calling Peter, but his phone went straight to voicemail as well. After I fed Nadia breakfast and got her changed, I decided to take her to the one person who I knew would keep her safe.

I held Nadia close to me as I stepped into the old steel mill. I had quite a few memories here with Peter and Roman and I continued to think about them as I tried to locate Shelly.

It was filled with people. Most of them greeted me with a smile or a small nod as they stood around garbage fires. I grin as soon as I see the familiar face that I was looking for.

"Hi," Shelly greets, her smile never fading as she looks at Nadia. "Who is this?"

"This is Nadia," I tell her and Nadia coos, pointing at different objects. "She is your niece."

Shelly raises her eyebrows. "My niece? I didn't know that you and Roman..."

"I didn't give birth to her," I explain as I hand Nadia over to her. "Her mother is Letha."

"Letha? But, how is that even possible?"

"It's a long story," I sigh, running my fingers through my hair. "Can you watch her for a while? I have to go find your brother."

"Of course," Shelly smiles as she bounces Nadia on her hip, making her giggle loudly. "You don't have to worry."

"Thank you," I say before handing Shelly the diaper bag and giving Nadia a quick kiss on the forehead. "Oh, and by the way, Nadia isn't going to be your only niece."

Her face lights up even more and her eyes travel down to my stomach that seemed to be growing more and more each day. "You're kidding!"

I shake my head, smiling. "Nope."

"Congratulations!" Shelly beams. "I'm so happy for you."

"Thanks," I chuckle. "I better go, but I want you to know that no matter what, you are always welcome to stay with Roman and I. We love you very much."

"I know," she replies, looking around the mill. "I like it here though. These people are really nice and treat me like family."

"That's good, as long as you are happy."

After saying goodbye, I head back to my car and check my phone. My heart jumps when I see I have a few missed calls from Roman. I immediately dial his number and he answers after the first ring.

"Peter knows."

"What do you mean?"

"He fucking knows, Elsie," Roman cries. "He came after me last night. I-I didn't have a choice. He shot me and he isn't going to stop until I'm dead."