13. Exploration

As I pulled up to Tab's house, I couldn't get the note out of my mind

As I pulled up to Tab's house, I couldn't get the note out of my mind. Every time I closed my eyes, the red paper returned to my mind. I counted every breath I took in as I tried to calm myself down. There was no one I could turn to.

I honked the horn and leaned back in my seat. My fingers curled around the steering wheel until my knuckles started to turn white.

Tab opened the passenger door, and I gasped. She rose a brow. "Why are you so jumpy? Afraid Andrea is going to come try to beat you up for giving her a bloody nose?"

I let out a shaky laugh and rolled my eyes. "Nah, she's afraid I'll come give her another bloody nose." I hoped I sounded slightly convincing.

Once Tab had her seat belt buckled, I pulled away from the curb and got back onto the road, driving toward the inner parts of town.

There were a few dress shops in Fallen Hills, but we were lucky enough to live a small enough area to not have to worry about other girls having the same prom dress as us. The shops coordinated with each other to mark down which dresses had already been purchased by students. I pulled my car to a stop at one of the parking spots beside the sidewalk. I glanced out the window up at the shop. On the sidewalk, a bright sign indicated PROM SHOPPING NOW!

"Do we really have to go to prom?" I groaned. It's only one night, I reminded myself.

Tab gasped as her head whipped around to look at me. "Are you insane?!" She shrieked as she got out. "We have to! It's a rite of passage!"

She didn't wait for me as she strutted into the front doors of the store. I took in a deep breath and followed her in. Hundreds of dressed hung against the walls and across the racks scattering the floor. They were all different lengths, colors, and fabrics.

Tab was already messing with a few, and she turned to face me as I entered the door. She held up two dresses and grinned. "Which one do you think looks better?"

I tried my best to not get distracted by my own inner monologue, prom was the least of my worries.

In her left hand, she held a white ball gown which had crystals around it's bodice. The second dress, which she held in her right hand, was a deep red with a plunging neckline and a tight fit. I regarded them both carefully. "Which one do you like? The white one makes me think of a wedding dress."

Tab looked at the white dress again and sneered at it as she handed it back to one of the workers. "Can't be looking like a bride," she growled. She shook her head. "Jae already did that for the family."

"I haven't heard that name in a while," I murmured. Jae was Tab's older sister, and she'd been off at college for the past few years. She had just gotten married a few months ago, and the wedding had been gorgeous. "How is she doing?" I passed some of the dresses and ran my hand along the fabric.

Tab shrugged. "She's supposed to be coming home to visit soon," she said. "But I'm not going to be sharing my room with her."

I laughed. "Of course not." I turned my attention to the dresses as Tab walked into one of the dressing rooms with the red dress. I sighed, pulling two out. One was a simple black with a high neckline, and the other was a deep purple with black accents. Looking between the two, I waited for Tab to come back to ask her opinion.