18. Travel

His eyes were completely black

His eyes were completely black. I could only stare at him. I was frozen in place, and my breath was heavy as I breathed through my mouth. His blonde hair was a mess. It was tangled and sticking up like a feral crown. He smiled, revealing white fangs beneath his pink lips. Drops of blood dribbled down his chin, and he took a few steps closer to me. My heart pounded in my ears, and I staggered away from him.

I awoke to a warm hand against my shoulder. "Beth," Clark whispered. He shook my shoulder gently and squeezed. "It's just a dream, wake up."

My eyes slowly opened, and I sat up quickly. I pushed my face into my hands and let out a breath. I'd forgotten I'd asked Clark to stay with me. I was glad for his presence, though. I dropped my hands into my lap, sighing quietly and shutting my eyes hard.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He sat up and looked me over.

I shook my head. He wasn't aware that I knew what he was yet, so telling him my nightmare about Alexander wasn't the best of ideas. "It was just a dream," I repeated what he'd said. I knew it wasn't completely a dream, though. I knew I would need to tell him at some point what had happened, but I wasn't ready for that confrontation yet.

I wasn't ready to shatter this illusion I'd given myself that he wasn't a monster.

Instead, I decided for a different direction in conversation. "How did Cecilia not catch you last night?"

He smirked. "I'm just skilled."

Rolling my eyes, I pushed myself out of bed and stretched my arms out beside my head. I wandered over to the window and opened the curtains to allow more light into the room.

"Let's go somewhere," he spoke without moving. I glanced back at him, he had one arm placed behind his head and was smirking at me, playfulness tugging at the corners of his eyes. I noticed he'd had a change of clothes since the night before, and I wondered how he slipped out without me noticing.

I rose a brow." Is it going to be a surprise again?"

He shrugged. "Let's go to the park."

I blinked twice. I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned against the edge of the window. I cleared my throat. "I heard there's been a lot of animal attacks there lately, are you sure?"

He sat up and burst out into laughter.

I glared at him. "Be quiet, Cecilia's home!"

He waved me off. "So, let me get this straight... You're afraid of some bears, but you asked me to sleep here last night, knowing full well how dangerous I am?"

I shook my head. "You're a killer with a conscious." I let out a shaky breath. I chewed on the inside of my lip. "Fine," I finally answered. I walked toward my closet to find something to change into and added, "Though, I'm pretty positive those attacks aren't from bears."