26. Attack

As I left the library, I turned the corner to enter the alley toward the back-parking lot where I had left my car

As I left the library, I turned the corner to enter the alley toward the back-parking lot where I had left my car. I stopped as a chill went down my spine, a peculiar aura filling the air and engulfing me, it's acute energy feeling like a million knives slowly pricking my skin. As I got closer to the energy, it left a hollow feeling in my gut. My eyes narrowed as I scanned the area. At the end of the alley stood a woman, who was only a silhouette against the bright street light behind her.

I took a few steps closer, and her face started to become visible. "Jae?" I whispered quietly, my voice shaking as my eyes widened and my bottom lip quivered. "I-Is that you?"

There was no way she could be here. She was dead.

Her eyes met mine, but they were not the eyes I knew. They were a deep, blood red, and her skin was a dull, lifeless grey. Her shoulders were slumped, and there was no emotion on her face. "The master will be pleased I have found you," she growled. Her voice was hoarse.

"Jae, you're going to be okay," I started, taking a few steps closer to her.

She barked out a laugh, "I'm dead, Elizabeth. And soon, you will be, too."

I staggered a few steps back, my heart jumping in my chest and my hair standing on edge. "Jae, you're not yourself," I spoke, repeating her name again as if I could get through to her. With each step back I took, she placed her feet forward, not allowing any space to come between us.

She started running toward me. I ducked as she leapt forward, her arms attempting to wrap around me.

"Jae, stop!" I yelled, my hands becoming fists as I prepared for her next assault. Running toward me again, I used the flat side of my palms to push her away, her shoulders slamming into the brick wall behind her.

The same piercing energy I had felt earlier rolled off her in waves. It was nothing like I had ever felt before. Yesterday she'd had a simple human energy, and now she felt like a raging beast, power seeping off her. She charged at me again, quicker than any human could. She tackled me against the wall, the back of my head crashing against it. Spots began appearing in my vision, and I cursed under my breath, inhaling sharply as pain seared down my neck.

Her hands were extremely cold. She clasped them around my neck as she pushed me to the ground and held me there. I tried to focus whatever small bit of power I had inside of me, but it was no use. I was inexperienced, and I had no idea what I was doing. I gritted my teeth, pursing my lips into a hard line as my brows furrowed. I tried to claw my hands upward at her, imagining the wolf, but I hadn't seen it in days. Whatever power I had drawn from it was depleting. I didn't want to give up.

I couldn't.

Panic started to settle in to me as she held me down with one hand effortlessly. She pulled a knife from her side, trailing the edge of the blade down my cheek. I whimpered when I felt wetness swell at my cheek where the sharp edge met my skin. She smiled down at me, a sinister gleam in her red eyes. Her fingers squeezed tighter around my neck, which made my breathing more difficult.