32. Graduation

I stood in the long line of graduates waiting to receive their diplomas

I stood in the long line of graduates waiting to receive their diplomas. Luckily, I would be one of the first to cross the stage. A shaky breath escaped my lips, and I balled my hands into fists at my side. I hadn't expected this day to come so quickly. In a short amount of time all of my worries had changed from wanting to be done with school to thinking about the fate of myself and my friends.

I clenched my jaw as I stood at the base of the stairs that lead up to the stage. I was next.

You're fine, Clark's voice ebbed into my mind. Underneath my white gown, the pendant hung against my neck and became warmer. I closed my eyes, chewing the inside of my cheek then opened them again. I glanced back at Clark, who stood toward the middle of the line, and he gave me a small nod. I met Tab's gaze, who stood a bit closer, and she returned my nervous expression with a wide smile.

"Elizabeth Maria Browne," Mr. Smith spoke from the podium.

Gathering the edges of my gown in my hands, I walked up the steps. Cecilia sat in the front row, holding her hand to her lips as the edges of her eyes became red and started to water. I rolled my eyes, shook Mr. Smith's hand, and took the diploma from his hand. I scurried to the end of the stage and climbed down the steps. Making my way back to my assigned seat, I sat and took a deep breath.

I looked down at the diploma sitting in my lap, tracing my fingers over the gold engraved lettering on the front. It was a chapter of my life closing. I looked up again, my eyes traveling across the row of graduates until I saw Clark's figure. The corners of my lips turned up. He was the beginning of the newest chapter of my life. The most exciting chapter.

Tab's name was called, and she sauntered across the stage. Her blonde hair was intricately curled beneath her cap, and her red lipstick made her smile look brighter. As she shook Mr. Smith's hand and took her diploma, she glanced over the crowd and gave a small nod. Then, she made her way across the exited the stage and took her seat a few rows behind me.

I fidgeted with the hem of my gown as I waited for the rest of the names to be called. Andrea and Clark were called a few minutes later and shortly after Alexander.

"Graduates, please stand," Mr. Smith spoke from the podium. I lifted my chin and stood. "Please move your tassel from the right of your cap to the left." I lifted my hand and did as instructed along with the others. Smiling, Mr. Smith announced, "I introduce you all to the graduates!"

The crowd around us erupted into applause. The exit music started playing, and we moved from our designated area to meet our families.

Cecilia rushed forward, folding me into her arms in a hug. "Your parents would be so proud!" She held me out at an arm's length. "You're all grown up and doing so well."

I cleared my throat awkwardly. "Thanks, Cecilia."

Tab and her parents strode up to us. Tab smiled weakly at me. "Can you really believe it's an end of an era?"