23. Fortunes

I followed Tab into the small carnival set up in the center of town

I followed Tab into the small carnival set up in the center of town. When we arrived, there was already a large crowd beginning to form. Looking up at the large group of people, I chewed the inside of my lip.

"Well, what will we do first?" Jae's excited voice called from behind us. She had arrived in town late the night before, and when Tab had told her we were going to a carnival in town, she decided she'd tag along.

My mind was distracted as I crossed my arms over my chest and followed behind Tab. I couldn't stop thinking of the day before. I had finally put together what Clark and the others were. Before that, I had found out more about myself, including my light fae ancestry. There was a part of me that was mad at Clark for holding back so much from me, but I was also thankful for his caution. Why give me false hope, I thought.

And, at least I wasn't overwhelmed. I wasn't sure how many other things could shock me.

"Beth!" Jae's voice pulled me from my thoughts. I looked up to her, meeting her brown eyes. Tab stood beside her, her hands placed on her hips as she pursed her lips. Jae narrowed her eyes at me. "What has gotten into you? I'm back in town for the first time in a while, and you're just dozing off!" She ran a tan hand through her hair dark hair dramatically, shaking her head.

I frowned as I looked between them. "Sorry," I muttered. I wished I could explain exactly what was roaming in my thoughts, but I couldn't.

Clearing my throat, I looked at Jae. "How's the married life?"

She smiled, beaming at me. "Peter is amazing, we'll be going to South Korea in a month or so to see his family. It's going to be a huge learning experience, and I'm so excited."

I smiled at her. "Sounds like a blast."

Tab peered at her sister and narrowed her eyes. "I'm so jealous."

Jae shrugged. "Maybe you can come visit with us sometime! I'm sure mom would let you."

"I'm not sure if I could deal with you that long." Tab sighed dramatically and rolled her. Tab walked forward and pointed to where a large sign was. "Fortune teller!" She spun around to face us. "Let's do it!"

I scratched the back of my neck. "I don't know, Tab." I frowned as we got closer to the sign. I narrowed my eyes as I leaned closer to it, reading it. "These things are fake; do you really want to waste your money on it?" I didn't have the authority to call things fake anymore, but I wasn't convinced.

"Well, if you don't, I will." Tab pushed between us and marched into the fortune teller's tent. I frowned as I watched her disappear, and I shook my head.

"It's good to see she hasn't changed much," Jae said softly. She smiled smugly, and if I could guess, I'd say she'd been missing her sister.

I nodded and put my hands in my pockets. "I suppose we wait for her to finish, then."