9. Cliffs

We walked from the restaurant and into the chilly spring air

We walked from the restaurant and into the chilly spring air. Looking over the dark parking lot, I tried to spot where Clark's sleek black Cadillac was.

"Wrong direction." Clark rocked back on his heels beside me. "Mind if we make a detour before you go home?"

Would that be a good idea? Every time he looked at me it was like a burst of fireworks were going off in my chest. "Where to?" I hated that I wanted to go with him, and I didn't even know where it was he was wanting to go.

"Now, that would ruin the surprise."

I groaned. "Fine. I just wanted to get away from Alexander. He wouldn't hurt Tabitha, do you think?"

Clark shook his head. "He's not sadistic, if he wanted to hurt her, he would have already. He might be a bit impulsive, but he's not sadistic."

"He's like you, isn't he?" I asked and followed him as he started walking. I didn't really need him to confirm it. All signs were already pointing to yes.

He nodded and stood in front of a large, black motorcycle.

My eyes widened as I looked at it, then back at him, "You've got to be kidding me, Clark." I'd never ridden a motorcycle in my life. I held my breath as I stared at it.

Smiling, he shrugged off his jacket and tossed it at me. I barely caught the leather. I scrunched my eyebrows together.

He swung his leg over the bike before I could protest. "Put it on so you don't get cold, you're already freezing." It hummed to life beneath him with a loud roar. "Are you ready for some adventure, Beth?"

I frowned and pulled his jacket onto my arms. I didn't want to admit it was very warm. I took a few steps toward the bike and weighed my options. I wondered if it was too late for me to run back inside and go see a movie with Tab and Alexander instead. "Only if you'll answer some more questions." There was no way I was going to go back inside, but maybe I could get something out of this.

"Easy enough," he said.

I let out a shaky breath and took a seat behind him. He revved the engine and the bike vibrated beneath us. His hands wrapped around the handles, and as the bike shot forward I was forced to wrap my arms around him and a small shriek escaped my lips. I could feel his laughter under my arms.

Jerk, I thought.

He laughed again.

As we exited town, I was comforted by the quiet streets. We winded between the trees and over hills. I didn't want to speak my curiosity, and I tried to convince myself I should embrace the moment. After all, he'd said he would answer more questions.

I peered over his shoulder at the road ahead. The wind whipped against my face, making my cheeks turn pink against the chilly air. I blinked once and when my eyes opened the scenery changed. I sucked in a quick breath of air and held onto him more tightly.