25. Books

Tab needed her space, and I needed to do some research on my own

Tab needed her space, and I needed to do some research on my own. For the most part, I had already completed the assignment for history class, but I found myself strolling up the front steps of the library. I stopped by the front desk and asked the librarian for the key to the archives. I wasn't surprised when she passed it over, only furthering my expectation that Clark had truly made sure I would be able to return whenever I wanted.

I entered the large room, breathing in the smell of the old books lining the shelves. Dim moonlight shone through the stain glass window, creating a colorful aura against the floor. The days were still shorter, but the library would be closing soon, so I needed to be quick. Walking to the central table, I shrugged off my backpack and pulled out my laptop, sitting it down and powering it up. While I waited for it to start, I meandered toward one of the shelves and began browsing the titles.

I wasn't sure what I thought I would find as I browsed over the names. The information I was looking for was something I assumed wouldn't be kept in these books. I stood idly in front of the shelf with the letter M, before I finally plucked off one large, leather-bound book: McCarley.

It was dusty and warn, and it felt fragile in my grip. As my fingers grasped it, Clark's familiar energy ebbed against my skin, as if he had recently been here. I sat it down carefully on the table, taking a seat and pulling it close to me as I opened it. It dated to the very beginning of the town, fine ink scrawled on its dull pages. As I continued flipping through, a small photo fell from beneath the edge of the pages. I carefully picked it up and turned it over between my fingers.

Clark stood in the middle, and to his left was Alexander, then Andrea. Situated to his right was a girl who stood exactly at his height, with dark hair. I assumed that had been his twin he had spoken of. Beside her stood two older folks, who I assumed was his parents. The photo was old, though I couldn't place the date because there wasn't one written. I tucked it back into the book as I began reading.

As I flipped another page, something caught my eye. I blinked twice, running my fingers along the inner edge of the binding, feeling a small paper poking out. Grimacing, I carefully pulled it out from where it had been hidden between the pages. It had a name on it, and I glanced to the shelves beside me. Raising from my seat, I held the secret paper between my fingers as I looked over the names on the shelves, stopping as I found one that was the same as the one written on the paper.

Faedottr. It was a name I'd never heard in town.

Very carefully, I pulled it off the shelf. It felt nearly as old as the McCarley and Scotson books, and when I reached the table I sat it down. I narrowed my eyes as I opened it, and my eyes widened as the first page read in delicate print: Dark Fae.

"Impossible," I whispered. It seemed impossible was becoming my favorite word.

I turned the first page and written on the next were carefully drawn illustrations and diagrams. The first was of a man, only his back visible. One half showed the same scars I had seen on Clark's body, and the other half showed a massive wing protruding from the man's back. There were small arrows pointing toward the body, naming each part.