21. Visiting

The amber eyes of the wolf haunted my dreams, and it's black fur clogged my thoughts

The amber eyes of the wolf haunted my dreams, and it's black fur clogged my thoughts. Even though a few days had passed, I couldn't get it out of my mind.

Sitting in last period history class, Clark sat beside me in his usual seat. He had his arms crossed over his chest and was leaning back. Sneaking one glance in my direction as I watched him, I quickly averted my gaze, which only made him chuckle beside me.

He cleared his throat, and I heard his voice whisper into my mind, You're going to have to tell Tab about prom, since you didn't tell her yesterday in class.

I looked once at him, and his eyes remained on me. I sighed, pursing my lips and looking at the teacher instead. This mind speaking as a bit more convenient than passing notes. I thought back, I know, but I know she's just going to rub it in.

Let her, Clark's voice returned in my mind, sarcastically.

I sighed aloud, twiddling with a strand of my hair between my fingers.

Glancing behind me, Tab sat taking notes. Her eyes were on her paper, and the pen between her fingers carefully danced across it as she wrote.

I turned away, facing the front of the room again. I tapped my pen against the desk, brown eyes glancing to the clock hanging on the wall. I wouldn't admit aloud I was excited and nervous to be going to Clark's house for dinner tonight, I was interested in seeing his place. I contemplated whether I should tell Tab, and I figured I should, since I was already keeping enough secrets.

Jumping a little when the bell rang, I sucked in a breath. Clark leaned toward me and spoke softly, "I'll meet you outside."

I watched as he left without another word. I stood, grabbing my things and met Tab in the middle of the aisle. I cleared my throat and started, "I have to tell you something." I'd never been this nervous to tell her something.

She rose a brow. "Is it about how weird you and Clark have been the last two days? I thought you were just ignoring me after the accident." She could always see straight through me, and I didn't know whether or not I should be thankful. Her wrist was wrapped with some gauze, but other than that, her bruises from the accident were already starting to fade.

Of course, I had been ignorant to think I would be able to hide things from her. We walked into the long hall of lockers, and I was silent as I thought. "Yes," I finally replied, looking at her nervously. I chewed the inside of my lip. "He asked me to prom to the other day, I said yes. I'm supposed to go over to his house tonight for dinner."

Tab gasped and dramatically put her hand over her mouth as her eyes widened. "Elizabeth Browne going to prom with Clark McCarley? How scandalous, all the girls will be so jealous." She dramatized every words, and her smile reached her eyes.

I rolled my eyes. "And this is exactly why I didn't tell you when he asked me."

As we reached our lockers, she opened hers. "You know you love me."