29. Meeting

I clenched my jaw as I sat beside Clark as he drove us to the meeting

I clenched my jaw as I sat beside Clark as he drove us to the meeting. Somehow, Cecilia hadn't caught me missing from the house the night before. As soon as the sun started peeking through the trees, we buried the body and I went home to get cleaned up for the meeting.

Even though I knew he would have killed both Clark and I, I couldn't help but feel guilt creeping through me. Not only was he dead, but so was Jae, and the mysterious man who had been stalking me before her death. Three deaths in under a day because of me.

What was happening to me?

Clark reached over and squeezed me hand that I had been balling into a fist. "You have to stop doing that, you're going to hurt yourself."

I frowned. My palm burned from where my nails had dug in. "I know. There's just so much going on."

He glanced over at me as he drove further into town. "Are you sure you're ready for this? We don't have to do this."

"I can do it." I shook my head and sighed. I tried to smile the best I could. "I just need to get through the day. Did you know my father was an earth fae?"

He let go of my hand and wrapped his fingers around the steering wheel. "No, where did you figure that out?"

I chuckled. "I met one at the carnival. She gave me all sorts of weird omens. Weirder than Alexander. Anyways, she's the one that told me. She called herself Morgana."

"Hmm." He laughed under his breath. "She appears at just the right time. She is reliable, though."

I nodded and looked down at my lap as the car stilled at the side of the road.

"I'm going to need the pendant. With us... sharing blood last night, we should have no problem communicating mentally," he said.

I wrapped my fingers around the crystal and paused. It was weird to not have it around my neck. I slowly pulled the cord over my head and held it toward him.

He rolled his eyes. "You can have it back when we're done."

My ears felt warm. "I was getting used to it being there."

He leaned back in the seat and took a deep breath. "Remember, this is all an act. They know a different version of me than you do. Keep your head down. When we walk in, there will be a stand where the council leaders sit. There will be a spot for you to sit near me." He met my eyes and gave me a serious look. "Are you sure you want to do this?"

I rolled my eyes. "Stop badgering me. Yes, I can do it. As long as we can give them hell once this is all over. I'm not going to act useless forever." I laughed. "By the way, you need a different saying."

He smiled and nodded. "We'll absolutely give them hell when the time is right, but I'm afraid in a room of a ton of pureblood dark fae isn't the right time. I just hope they don't realize who you are when we get in there."