20. Training

I followed Clark as he led me between the trees and toward a large clearing in the forest

I followed Clark as he led me between the trees and toward a large clearing in the forest. As we walked, I kept my eyes peeled for the black wolf, but it didn't make another appearance. Still, I remained more aware of everything, and I wondered if it was because of the energy I had drawn from the creature, as Clark had explained. Though I didn't want to believe it, I couldn't deny the adrenaline pumping through me and how aware I was of him as he walked ahead of me.

He turned to face me. A small pond was situated to our far left, and a circle of trees surrounded us.

I pushed the sleeves of my sweater up to my elbows and put my hands into fists. "How are we going to do this?"

When I blinked, he was gone. I quickly turned in a quick circle. He stood only a few feet behind me. I knew he was fast, but I didn't know he was that fast. I always accounted his speed for my obliviousness.

"That's not fair." I narrowed my eyes.

He smirked. "The Atoners won't be going easy on you."

"Whatever, teach me." I then tilted my head to the side. "The Atoners, are they just like you and the others? You only give me half answers and warnings. I need to know what's going on. Really know."

He took a few steps forward, and I jumped again, shocked, when I felt his breath against my neck. His fingertips trailed up my arm, and I shivered at his touch, forcing my eyes closed. "Step one, stay aware of your surroundings," he whispered in my ear. I nodded and gulped. I opened my eyes and met blue eyes. "Yes, Atoner is just a title they've adopted over the years. A cult of sorts."

"How can I stay aware of you?" I asked quietly. "You're too fast." I lifted my hand and pressed my palm against his chest. "I can sense you energy, but you disappear and I don't know where you are." I dropped my hand, and he was in behind me again before I could blink.

The energy rolling off him was powerful. "Sense the energy around you, you don't need to follow me with your eyes to know where I'm at."

I nodded. I closed my eyes, and I focused on his presence behind me. I focused on how his touch made me feel and the warmth of the pendant pressing against my neck. The more I focused, the more I could feel him. It was tiring, but I wouldn't give up easily. I needed to learn.

I could sense him moving around me in a semi-circle, and then his presence got stronger to my left. I quickly turned and lifted both of my hands as he got close to me, pushing them against his chest before he could strike. I opened my eyes and smiled. "Like that?"

He nodded once. "Exactly."

"Okay, so I know I can sense you, now what?" I asked curiously.

"Strength and speed," he said. "Since your power is starting to develop, you'll get stronger. Your senses will get stronger, but you can already feel that."