34. Broken

My body changed back, and I did not mind my nakedness in front of him

My body changed back, and I did not mind my nakedness in front of him. The paws became hands and my limbs returned to their regular size. My eyesight and hearing changed back, and I staggered forward. He pulled me into his arms, his wings returning to soft, black feathers.

"You did it," he whispered. As he kissed my forehead, the flames building around the room went out, though the smell of ash remained.

I nodded once, unable to bring any words forward.

I should not have expected to have such a quick happiness.

Cecilia screamed from the side of the room, her hands rising to her neck as a cloaked figure slit her throat. Blood gurgled to her lips and she went limp as she fell to the floor.

The cloaked figure disappeared in a flash of shadow, a quickness that only the dark fan possessed.

Clark made a peculiar noise. "Beth." His voice held back by something else. His shoulders sagged and as he slowly tumbled to the ground I met the gaze of the cloaked woman who could cause us all pain with a single thought.

I glanced down at Clark, a dark blade jutting from between his wings, blood trickling down his back. My heart hammered in my chest, my body going numb as his eyes shut and his body became limp. As this happened, the flames which had disappeared now roared to life again, another sign of his power fading. Against my back, pain started to form.

"No!" I screamed, my hands shaking at my side.

Cecilia. Clark. How could this happen?

In front of me, she smiled as she pushed the hood off of her head. "Beth," Andrea said. "Please don't make this more difficult than it needs to be."

I staggered two steps back. "Why would you do this?"

Andrea let out a breath, lifting another blade from her side, all the holsters now empty. "Are you going to make this difficult for me?" She held the blade toward me, as if offering me a choice.

I cocked my head to the side. At my slight refusal, delight seemed to ignite in her eyes. "How can you make us feel pain?" I demanded.

She smiled. "I killed one of the council members and drained her, gaining her powers," she said. "It's quite a simple process, really. I killed another to be able to track easily as well." She chuckled. "I will be the most powerful leader the council has ever seen. With Clark dead, I will reign as his successor. I will not go easy on the light fae. I will destroy them all for being an abomination to the fae."

"You're disgusting." I glanced down at Clark, and I took the blade from Andrea's offered hand. I crouched next to his body, placing my free hand against his cheek. "He's your brother, why would you do this to him?"

"He's never been my brother. I stuck close enough to make sure he's always trusted me. I have been orchestrating this plan for longer than you've been alive. Who do you think killed Clare and Jon? Who orchestrated the fire that killed them and your parents? You're only a small piece to the puzzle." She chuckled. "Clark falling for you only made it much easier."

"You turned your own family against each other for power." I shook my head, removing my gaze from Clark and glaring at her. "What a pity you are."

She shrugged. "Pity me if you like, but I do what I must for the fae."

The fire around us was growing stronger, making it difficult to breath. My breath caught in my throat, and I had to narrow my eyes to see through the smoke. Despite the fire growing around us, my naked body felt cold.

"I do pity you." I held the blade carefully in my hands.

"Do it, Elizabeth. Join Clark in your eternal slumber." Her voice was soft as she cooed. "Do it."

The weight of the blade felt heavy in my hand. She smiled as I turned the blade toward myself, evil delight filling her eyes.

But I would not be defeated.

I would not allow her to destroy everything.

As I appeared to aim for myself, I quickly turned toward. In her happiness, she did not realize I was now aiming at her and plunged it into her heart. She staggered a few steps back, weakened. Pain erupted against my skull as she tried to make another illusion appear. How could she be such a fool to think I would kill myself? How could she be foolish enough to hand me the weapon I would kill her with?

I would not be fooled.

I kicked her in the side, and she staggered to the ground. The illusion grew stronger, but it would not take me this time.

I yanked the dagger away from her chest and side stepped around her as she bellowed and staggered to reach me. With a final blow as I reached her backside, I shoved the dagger between her shoulder blades. The only spot her kind could be killed. She fell to the ground and gasped before movement ceased.

The air smelled like death and ash. I turned my attention back to Clark. I stared across the room at Cecilia's limp figure covered in blood. I couldn't save her, she was already gone. I sucked in a breath as I pulled the blade from Clark's back.

My breathing was heavy and my hands shook. The world around me felt like it was moving in slow motion, and the flames grew closer to me, forcing me to breath through my nose. I pushed Clark over so that he laid on his back.

"Please don't leave me," I whispered. I pressed my palm against his cheek. "Please." More tears stung the corners of my eyes, slipping in slow streaks down my cheeks. I leaned forward, pressing my lips against his. "Please," I repeated.

I had already lost so much, including myself. Death surrounded me.

I took a deep breath, pressing the dagger against my wrist until a line of red appeared. Repositioning myself, I placed my wrist against his lips. It was the only thing I could think to do. I squeezed my hand, forcing my blood to bubble to the surface. I forced my energy toward him, closing my eyes and praying to whoever would listen.

Clark did not respond. My blood was smeared against his face. I placed my head against his chest and closed my eyes. I could still feel his energy, slowly disappearing. As the flames got closer to us, I stayed there, heart aching.

 As the flames got closer to us, I stayed there, heart aching