35. Renewed

I was awakened by something bright

I was awakened by something bright. My eyes slowly opened to the view of a large window covered in intricate, thick curtains. A large, soft, red blanket covered me and thick pillows comforted my head. The room was a comfortable warmth, but I was more aware of the heat coming from my side.

I slowly turned over, meeting his blue-violet gaze. He smiled lazily at me, reaching forward and tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "You're awake," he murmured. He was quiet, patiently waiting for my body to readjust from my slumber.

Was this heaven?

He leaned forward and pressed his lips against mine, and I closed my eyes. Our foreheads pressed together, and I felt energized by his simple touch. The corner of my lip turned up. Only after a few minutes did I open my eyes to look at him.

"No, you're not dead." His voice was soft, his thumb gentle as he stroked the line of my jaw. With every stroke, I could feel my heart thrumming in my ears.

"How?" My eyes widened, and I blinked twice, my memories slowly coming back to me. My breath caught in my throat as the violent scenes replayed in my head, and suddenly I was glad for the blanket draped over me. I quickly looked down at my body, thankful I was clothed again. As I rolled my shoulders, a slight ache spread down my arms from how I had strained myself.

He chuckled. "Perhaps a miracle." He laid on his back beside me, folding his hands on his chest. "Andrea didn't hit me as hard as she thought, she missed the spot on my back. I probably could have died from the fire, ironically, but your blood woke me up, saved me, and I got you out. I buried Andrea on the family plot. Alexander was under her command, he doesn't remember any of it. Cecilia is supposed to have a funeral in a few days. The house was too ruined to be saved. I tried to grab as much of your things as possible. I talked to some of the investigators, so I already covered that, they won't be asking any questions. Because you're eighteen now, you can stay wherever you like." He turned his head toward me. "How much do you remember?"

I gulped. "I remember more than I'd like to," I whispered. I frowned, pressing my lips into a hard line and staring at the ceiling. When I closed my eyes, the scenes replayed in my mind. A shaky breath exited my throat, and I rolled onto my side to face Clark. He lifted his arm and put it around my shoulders as I snuggled into his side. Despite knowing my own strength, I was glad to have him by my side. "How long have I been out for?"

"Only a few days."

I nodded. "Is Tab okay?"

"She's fine. She thinks you were sick, as per Alexander's compulsion."

I breathed in slowly. "I'd like to stay with you," I said quietly. I propped myself on my elbow as I looked down at him. "I mean, if that's alright with you." I grew quiet as I waited for his response.

His gaze met mine, and the corners of his eyes crinkled as he smirked. "Hmm, I suppose I can be alright with that." He winked once at me, his touch growing slightly warmer.

I rolled my eyes and returned to laying on my side. The edges of my eyes blurred as I thought over everything that had happened. I cleared my throat to stop myself from crying. The hair on my arms stood on edge, my hand balling into fist.

Clark's warm hand rubbed my arm. He pressed his lips against my forehead. "You'll get through this." He lifted my chin with his finger. "You're the strongest person I know. You'll get through all of this, I promise."

Somehow, I believed him.

I hiccupped and looked up at him. My breath was shaky as I tried to distract myself from my thoughts. "How are you feeling about everything?"

"Betrayed, mostly by Andrea. I feel bad for Alexander, though. I think he just got mixed up in all of this. I'm more angered with myself for not seeing the threat Andrea was. She's tricked me for so long. I knew she could be harsh, but I never imagined her plans. You killed her, though, and her threat is gone." He sighed, shrugging. He chuckled. "You vanquished both of our threats, the one who wanted you dead and the one who wanted to see me destroyed." His eyes seemed distracted, hiding his worries for my sake. "I think I'm just starting to become numb to these things, or maybe it all just hasn't hit me yet."

"Maybe," I agreed quietly.

I jumped when I felt the end of the bed sink, though the energy in the air immediately felt lighter. At the end of the bed, my parallel sat, the large, black wolf staring down at me. Its tongue lulled to the side, and I smiled. I sat up, patting the spot on the bed beside me. It walked forward, laying down and resting its head in my lap. Laying my head back on Clark's shoulder, I distractedly ran my fingers through the fur on the wolf's head.

"The wolf can stay," Clark said. "If you want, that is." He seemed lost in a smile, though I couldn't quite figure out why.

"I do." I rose a brow. "Why are you so... smiley?"

He chuckled. "I'm just glad you're here, with me." His grin turned smug as he looked me over. "I'm glad I told you everything. I'm glad you've accepted yourself... I'm glad you've accepted me. I guess I'm just finding happiness in whatever I can, and right now, you are my happiness."

I stared at the ceiling, weighing the events in my head and how everything had so quickly changed. Fire had repeatedly engulfed my life. The fire that killed my parents, the fire that destroyed my other home, and the fire that Clark was. I smiled, comforted by his words. Even if everything around me had fallen to pieces, at least I had truth. Even though we had a plethora of differences, he believed in me and allowed me to make my own decisions in everything, and for that I would always be thankful.

My heart hammered in my chest. I glanced to the side as I felt the weight on the bed change as Clark turned to face me. He kissed me again, his hand resting against my cheek. I closed my eyes and allowed myself to become distracted by his touch. Where his skin touched me, chills rang through me, tingles of electricity and warmth spreading across my body.

When I opened my eyes, I was greeted by the illusion of the cliff-side and the smell of salt as waves crashed against rock. Clark kept his hand rested against my face, keeping the trick alive to my mind. Blades of grass in my hallucination tickled my skin, and I offered the best smile I could, tears staining my cheeks. The breeze was soft yet warm. The innocence of the illusion comforted me since it was one of the first things he had ever shown me.

"We got through it." He wiped one of the tears away and kissed my other cheek. Despite everything that had happened, I knew he was right. We had gotten through the worst. Both of us. He smiled. "Elizabeth Browne," he whispered. I rose a brow. "I love you."

The corner of my lip turned up, and he smirked at my attempt of a smile. I pressed one hand against his cheek, the tips of my fingers lingering against his dark hair. I stared up into his enchanting eyes, and pulled him into another kiss, my lips falling against his, demanding his distraction and touch. "Clark McCarley," I said softly, my breath against his lips. "I love you, too."

THE END