24. Enemies

Without missing a beat, Alexander stepped forward

Without missing a beat, Alexander stepped forward. "I'll take you to the hospital."

I didn't put up an argument. Was this the darkness Morgana had warned me about? As Alexander began walking away and Tab followed, I lifted my head as another wave of unfamiliar energy pushed against me. I wanted to investigate the feeling, but I didn't have time. Instead, I followed closely behind Tab and Alexander.

Tab sat in the passenger seat, and I took a spot in the back. I chewed the inside of my lip as my gaze went outside. There was too much going on and too little I knew about. A

s Alexander pulled into the parking lot of the hospital, Tab got out first. "I'll go ahead," she said and hiccuped. She looked at me in the back seat. "I'll call you when you can come inside." She turned her gaze to Alexander. "Thank you."

I reached forward and squeezed her shoulder. "I'll be waiting right here."

She couldn't even muster a smile as she left us. First her accident, and now Jae. I couldn't even imagine how her mom was feeling.

I climbed into the passenger seat and settled beside him. I let out a sigh. Things were getting too serious. "I'm not playing ignorant around you anymore. There's too much going on, and you haven't given me a reason to not talk to you yet, besides barging into my house, but I suppose even then you were trying to warn me." I wouldn't let him know I knew he made people believe Clark had killed their sister, but I needed information right now.

I looked at him and demanded, "I know you have an affinity for being able to know things before they happen. You made that obvious when you barged into my house. If you care about Tab, why didn't you stop Jae from leaving, if you knew she was going to get into an accident?" My voice was strong as I spoke, and I clenched my jaw as I waited for his response.

"I see," he started, though he snorted under his breath. "That's not how my affinity works, though I am thankful you give me more credit than I deserve. I must specifically watch those people and know their energy. The only reason I could do that to you was because I was watching you. I had no idea Jae would get into an accident tonight." He sighed. "Though, if I had known, I would have stopped her from going, if that counts for anything."

I crossed my arms over my chest as I stared at the hospital in front of us. I chewed the inside of my lip, looking at the area around us. I was exhausted from trying to use my powers for so long, but I needed to stay aware of everything going on.

"You'll need to tone down your energy leading up to the meeting," Alexander began, startling me. I looked at him as he continued, "Yes, I know you're going. I've already seen that with my affinity. No, I won't out you to the council."

I let out a relieved breath. "Thank you. Do you think Andrea will keep her mouth shut?"

He nodded once. "If Clark told her to, she will. She might be terrible, but she's loyal."