30. Epic

Tab sat behind me, her tan fingers making an intricate braid on the side of my head

Tab sat behind me, her tan fingers making an intricate braid on the side of my head. I gritted my teeth when she pulled my hair. "Do you have to pull so hard?"

"If you keep moving so much!" She swatted the side of my head.

I frowned and balled my hands into fists. I wouldn't quickly admit I was excited for prom, but I was happy Tab had convinced me. We sat in her living room as we got ready, Cecilia and Tab's mother sitting on the sofa behind us sipping on tea. With the loss of Jae, this would surely be a good distraction.

"Done," Tab said, placing a hairpiece in the braid and taking two steps back. She smiled as she handed me a mirror.

I lifted the mirror, peering at my reflection. I titled my head to the side to look at the braid and ornament. I smiled. "It's fabulous, Tab."

Cecilia cleared her throat as she stood, taking a spot beside me. "I'm not sure how I feel about you going with Clark." She pursed her lips, crossing her arms over her chest.

I rolled my eyes. "Clark and I are just going as friends, that's all."

Tab's mom snickered. "That's not how Tabitha puts it," she started.

A breath escaped my lips, and I chewed the inside of my cheek.

"You do look beautiful," Cecilia said softly. Her gaze softened as a small smile appeared on her lips. "Your parents would both be very proud of you."

I held my tongue. I didn't want to start any fights, but the last thing I wanted to hear her talk about was my parents. I cleared my throat. "Thanks."

I rose to my feet and wiped my hands down the front of the black dress. Picking up the black masquerade mask, I carefully placed it on my face and tied it around my head to keep it in place. I lifted my chin as I heard a knock at the door. Tab and I both looked at each other, and her mom rose to her feet to answer it. Both Alexander and Clark stood in the threshold. Clark's blue eyes met mine, and I looked away, my cheeks growing warm.

After all we'd been through, I still couldn't believe he made me feel this way.

Tab's mom stepped aside to let them in. Clark walked to me, and he lifted my hand, kissing my knuckles. I rolled my eyes, holding back a snarky comment. "You look beautiful, Elizabeth," he spoke softly. His lip turned into a crooked smirk.

He dropped my hand, and turned toward Cecilia who stood beside me. "Thank you for allowing Beth to come with me tonight."

I could have snorted. Allowed? Yeah, right.

"You better take care of my niece tonight," she said, though she let her guard down as she smiled. "I'm only allowing this because I knew Jon and Clare when I was a child. They were good folks."

He nodded. "Both of my parents."

I let out a breath. "Are we ready to go?" I looked up at him.

He offered his arm to me, and I placed my hand in the crook of his elbow. The last time I had done this, the event we were going to had been completely different. Despite the meeting being long past us, the feelings remained churning through my veins.