Chapter 13

Sorry for the delay...

Enjoy...

_________________________________

Flashback Continues

NK sat there for a while, praying for Khushi's recovery. After an hour or so, the doctor shifted Khushi in ICU and NK was allowed to meet her.

NK entered ICU and the scene in front of him broke his heart in pieces. Khushi was lying on the bed, her head covered with bandage, oxygen mask was covering her mouth. Drip was connected with her hand. But the thing that pierced NK's heart was her face.

Her face, which was so pale. The ever shining eyes were close. The talkative lips were shut. There was no smile on her face. She was taking slow breaths.
She looked so much in pain.

NK came closer and gently picked her hand, and held it in between his own.

Please Khushiji. Get well soon. I - I can't see you like this. Please open your eyes.

He kept mumbling this to her, in hope that she will open her eyes. She will open her eyes.

After a while, NK came outside ICU with a heavy heart. Doctor told him to calm down and pray for Khushi now. But for now, he ws not allowed to meet her for more time.

Seconds converted into minutes, minutes became hours and now, it was almost 18 hours since Khushi was operated. But still, she didn't wake up!

Now NK and doctors were really worried. She must wake up otherwise she will slip into coma. The doctors were trying their best to wake her up but all in vain.

NK was restless. He kept calling her, telling her to wake up, requesting her to open her eyes, pleading her to say something, but she was not responding at all. It was like, she was tired of living in this world.

Slowly, the minutes passed and passed and now it was 25 hours since she was unconscious. The doctor came to NK and kept a hand on his shoulder.

I am sorry Mr. NK, we tried our best but she is just not responding to our treatment. The operation was successful, I assure you of that but we are really confused as to why she is not responding positively! I am sorry to say that she is in coma now.

Whe- when will she gain conscious?
NK asked in a shaky voice.

We can't tell exactly. It can take months, even years, but in some cases, patient even wakes up in some days. Pray for her recovery. She can hear you, feel your presence around her. Try to be happy around her and keep her away from all tensions. Take care.

With a professional pat, the doctor left from there and NK kept standing there. All his world shattered. Khushi was shifted to private room as she was still under observation.

NK came and sat beside her bed. His heart was breaking but he composed himself for Khushi's sake.

Khushiji. I know that you can hear me. So today I am reversing our roles. So now, me is you and you is me. You must me thinking what I am saying, right?

He looked at her face, in hope to see any sign, any gesture but all he saw was her pale face. He was unable to see her like this and dashed out of the room. He broke into tears, sitting outside her room.

I - I ca- can't do this. I ca- can't. I can't see her like this. Oh God, what should I do? Please help me to be strong. For Khushiji. Please save her. Please.

Khushi was not responding. NK stayed with her all the time. His own studies and job was affected by his constant stay at hospital. But little did he care. He stayed with her. It was three days now. But she was still sleeping. Sleeping peacefully.