Chapter Five

John rushed to Stiles' side after letting everyone else out of the cells, wanting to push Derek away from his son but decided against it once he saw the look on Derek's face. "Should I call for an ambulance?!" John's voice broke as he reached for Stiles' hand. He never thought he'd say that right after his son has been shot, but he had a feeling that might not actually be the best idea.

"No. I got this. I've done this before, and I can do it again. I need tweezers of some kind. Something to get the bullet out," Derek said, indirectly ordering Erica and Isaac to go look for something. Scott and Allison stood at the entrance of the cell, tears in both of their eyes.

Erica came back with scissors, "this is all I could find."

"It'll have to work," Derek said, grabbing them. "Now Stiles, this is going to hurt..."

Stiles weakly nodded. Derek laid Stiles flat on the cold cement ground. Even though Stiles was a werewolf, he felt really cold at this moment. His body shaking ever so slightly, but it's enough to make Derek nervous. Stiles tightened his grip on his father's hand as Derek lowered the pair of scissors, entering the wound.

Stiles let out a scream so ear piercing that Allison had to cover her ears and let out a scream herself, half because of the scream but mostly because of Stiles' thoughts. She couldn't help but let them in; they were so forceful. Derek ignored both of them, concentrating on getting the bullet. He felt something hit the scissors and he slowly opened them, which caused Stiles to scream louder and more blood spill out.

Scott had to turn away, not being able to see his best friend like this. Derek slowly pulled the scissors out of Stiles, the bullet in between the two blades. He tossed them aside and immediately put his hand over the wound. He inhaled slowly, allowing Stiles' pain to run through his body as it left Stiles.

John's eyes went wide as he watched the thick black veins run up Derek's arm and up his neck, covering his face. Stiles' screams softened to small whining noises, then to nothing as he sighed out. "Derek... Stop..." He said, looking up at him. He was obviously in a lot of pain, and he full understood what he was feeling. "There's no more pain..."

Derek let out a huge sigh, as if he was holding in the biggest scream the world would have ever heard. When he opened his eyes and looked down at his mate, tears filled his eyes. "That should make it feel better."

Stiles nodded as Derek took his shirt off, tying it around Stiles' torso, being extremely careful when he had to lift Stiles to get it around. Derek met John's eyes, which was overflowing with tears. "Oh my god..."

"John," Derek said, about to explain that it was something he was able to do for being the alpha. John shook his head, putting a hand up.

"I said oh my god because I just realized how safe my son really is with you," John said, flashing a smile at Derek before looking down at Stiles. "Are you aright son?"

Stiles nodded, smiling. Both Derek and John slowly helped Stiles up to his feet, careful not to stress the wound out more. Melissa finally opened her mouth, letting out a sigh before saying, "I'm so sorry Stiles..." Tears were flowing out her eyes like a river, her top soaked.

Stiles shook his head, "don't be. You had to do what you had to do. You didn't know it was the wrong gun. It's ok Melissa." Melissa nodded, wiping her cheeks. They all looked at what was once Alan's body, but now was someone else.

"Shapeshifter. Original," Derek said, kicking the body as they walked by it. "Isaac, get rid of it for me yeah?"

Isaac nodded, standing still as the others walked out.

••••••

Derek opened the door of the vet's office, walking behind the counter and into the back hallway. "Alan?!"

There was a faint muffled shout for help at the end of the hallway. Derek made his way into the room, seeing Alan in the corner tied up to the wall. He took the cloth out of his mouth as he used one of his claws to cut him loose.

"Derek... My god. It's a shapeshifter, it's not me. Stiles, the kids, we need to get to them. They're not safe," Alan rushed as if he was waiting on saying it for days, which he probably was.

"It's alright. We already know. It's dead. Stiles killed it," Derek said, helping him up. Alan shot him a questionable look but Derek shook his head, "long story. Anyway, he was shot. I took the bullet out and took his pain, but he has lost a lot of blood."

"Well bring him here," Alan said. Derek nodded.

"He's in the car. I wanted to come in first to see if everything was clear. I'll go get him," Derek said, rushing out of the room only to return about a minute later with the visibly weak Stiles.

"Alright," Alan said. "Derek, I'm going to need you to leave the room." Derek shot him a look, but nodded and left.

••••••

After what seemed like three decades, Alan came out from the back where he greeted everyone. After Melissa asked if he was ok, he assured her he was. Then it was Derek's turn to ask the questions. "What about Stiles?"

"He's doing fine. Luckily I had some of his blood type left over from the-uh-birth of the twins, that I kept save. I stitched up the wound and he's currently in the back enjoying a chocolate chip cookie that's a week old but he didn't seem to mind," Alan said, chuckling a little.

"That's good old Stiles for ya," John said. The five of them followed Alan back to see Stiles, Melissa staying in the lobby with the sleeping twins. Derek walked up next to him, giving a quick peck on the mouth.

"Let's go home."