chapter 3: Normal?

Lena glanced around Yulia's room, noting that it looked similar to her own. Posters of bands decorated the walls, though Yulia did have one poster of a horse that hung above her bed. Her walls were painted a lilac color, though everything else was a navy blue. There was a TV in one corner, along with a DVD player and a game system.

"You have a lot of stuff, lucky you. I have to share everything with my sisters. It must be nice being the only child."

Lena stated, noticing how the smaller built girl blushed.

"what?"

She prompted, earning a sigh.

"Well...I think you're the one who's lucky. I mean I'm sure that having siblings can be a pain but....at least you're not alone most of the time."

Yulia responded, earning a surprised look.

"What about your parents?"

Lena asked, noticing how Yulia's demeanour darkened.

"Well...They work. I mean, they are around as often as they can be of course but it's late when my Dad gets home so it's usually me and my mom eating dinner together and well....never mind. It's not important."

Yulia's voice quivered as she spoke, though she looked away as if to forcefully shove aside whatever thoughts she was having.

Lena wanted to say something, to tell her that it was important but she knew that Yulia wouldn't believe her.

"Hey, if you want....you could come to my place for lunch and today....well I can fix us something, I can cook."

Lena said instead, touching the petite girl's shoulder, noticing how she flinched.

"Yulia? What's wrong with your arm? Can I see?"

"It's nothing."

Yulia insisted, though she couldn't keep from yelping when Lena's hand pressed a bit more on the sore skin.

"Please let me see."

Lena insisted, earning a sigh as Yulia removed her jacket, wincing as her arm was jostled.

Lena felt like her heart had dropped when she saw the dried blood on the other girl's shirt.

"What happened? Who did this?"

She hadn't meant to yell, but she was angry.

Just who would want to hurt someone, let alone this badly?

"Erik."

Yulia answered in a low voice, causing Lena's anger to grow.

"Why don't you go get cleaned up? I'll go see if I can find a phone book and order our supper from takeout?"

Once Yulia was gone Lena took out her cellphone, sending a text to her parents saying she would be late getting home before finding then number to a local diner that would deliver.

When Yulia returned she was wearing a pair of athletic shorts and a tank top, which showed the bruised flesh of her collar bone and shoulder, which was covered partially by bandaids.

"I didn't think you'd still be here." Yulia stated, causing Lena to nearly jump out of her skin as she whirled to face her.

"Sorry I didn't mean to be a snoop, I was just looking through your shelf of CDs. I was starting to feel awkward sitting there staring into space."

Lena rushed to defend herself, blushing slightly though to her surprise Yulia giggled.

"Relax. It's fine. I took to long anyway."