chapter 4: Making amends

Lena glanced over at Yulia who was barely eating any of the food that Lena had just paid for. Lena had never saw someone move so stiffly, as if afraid to do anything at all. The movie they were watching filled the silence though Lena couldn't help but feel bad for the girl.

"Yulia, I'm sorry."

She began, earning a confused look.

"For what? This wasn't poisoned or something right?"

The brunette retorted in a joking tone, though Lena just shook her head.

"No, it's not the food. it's just, I pretended you didn't exist after the letter....maybe because I saw how everyone treated you or maybe I'm just a terrible person. I should have stopped them but I didn't and I am sorry."

Lena began, though to her surprise Yulia cut her off.

"Don't apologize, you weren't one of the people who went out of their way to be assholes. I understand why you avoided me, who would want to be seen with the freak that likes other girl's to begin with? Let alone if the girl admits to having a crush on them."

Yulia's voice grew softer with each word and her eyes burned.

Why would Lena even want to apologize to me? She looked like I spit on her when she saw the note. This is some stupid trick that will come back to bite me in the ass later.

She wondered though to her surprise Lena's hand touched her arm, calling her attention to the redhead.

"Yulia, you're not a freak and I have never thought such a thing. I may be a coward because I didn't stop them but I never thought anything of it, not really."

Lena stated honestly, her own eyes filling with tears as she thought about how they had instantly turned on the then blonde haired girl.

"Let me prove it to you. Tomorrow....We'll go to school together. I don't live that far away so we can catch the bus together. They wouldn't dare hit you with me around!"