Chapter One

THIS HAS BEEN REWRITTEN ON MY ACCOUNT TO BE WAY BETTER. GO READ THAT ONE PLEASE.

EDIT: I AM ONCE AGAIN BEGGING YOU READ THE REWRITE INSTEAD

EDIT TWO: STOP VOTING ON THIS LMAO

Nightmare was an interesting creature. He was insane, but not in the way of having no thoughts or being downright crazy.

He was insane in his own way. He was smart, incredibly so. He was also a murderous king, feeding off of others pain and misery.

That included Cross' pain. He worked as a servant to Nightmare. He did most of the dirty work. Often enough he would murder for the king.

Nightmare repaid his work with food and protection. Even if it was usually Cross protecting Nightmare. Point is, he would have nowhere to sleep if it weren't for this.

The haunting moon hung in the dark sky. Around here it was always night time. He got used to it after a long while. The darkness probably had something to do with Nightmares powers.

Cross was attempting to get some sleep, which was rather rare for him. He was usually to busy helping Nightmare with whatever it was he needed.

However his sleep was cut short. He heard Nightmare call him from down the hall. He let out a small sigh and sat up.

He wasted no time and opened his door. He left his room to find Nightmare waiting at the end of the hall. "What is it, sir?"

"I just need your assistance for a moment... We caught a trespasser," Nightmare growled, turning and walking back down the hall.

Cross followed without complaint, making sure he was a fair enough distance away from Nightmares out of control tentacles. He's been struck by them more than once.

As they entered the throne room Cross paused, seeing Nightmare had managed to capture what looked like a bounty hunter.

It was a grey cat monster, a nasty scar was slashed across his eye. Two guards held him and his hands were tied behind his back.

"He managed to make it to my chambers... However he was unable to fight me in the darkness," Nightmare growled, narrowing his one blue eye at the creature.

Cross didn't know anyone who actually could fight the king in the darkness. He blended in perfectly and darkness brought fear, which brought him power.

"I expect you will teach the fool what happens when they threaten me?" Nightmare asked Cross, his gaze calm and his voice stern.

"Of course, sir... They will regret ever trying to hurt you," Cross growled, glaring down at the bounty hunter. This happened at least once a month.

"Good... Take them to the dungeon, and when your work is complete report back to me..." Nightmare growled, sitting down on his golden throne.

Cross bowed respectfully. He knew the drill. Torture answers out of the victim until they knew who hired, or worked with him.

As Cross turned to walk down towards the dungeons, the guards followed with the prisoner. They didn't bother to struggle, just flattened his silver furred ears and hissed.

As they made their way down the stairs Cross cast him another look. The monster showed him no fear. He would soon realize he should be afraid.

The guards pushed him into a cell with Cross and left. The cat's hands were still tied behind his back.

"Are you willing to work with me here?" Cross asked, pacing back and forth in front of the grey cat. He received no answer. So he wouldn't give answers willingly...

Cross reached out and grabbed the cat by the neck of his button up jacket, which was torn and scratched. He threw the bounty hunter against the wall. "What's your name!"

He hissed and collapsed to the ground. Cross stopped on his back. "Toka! My name is Toka!" He yowled out, attempting to get away from him.

He jumped back as he attempted to claw at his leg. Cross grabbed his knife and slashed his clawed hand. "Who do you work for?!"

Toka didn't answer and stood back up, using the wall as support. Cross moved forward and placed the knife to his neck. Toka froze.

"Answer my question..." He growled, narrowing his eyes. Toka seemed hesitant but finally spoke, a brave look in his eyes. "I was hired by a man who goes by the name Ink," Toka spoke.

Ink. He was guardian of the multiverse, and Nightmare had one of his best friends frozen in stone. Nightmare was also a threat to the rest of the worlds.

It made sense... However, "Where did you meet him? Was anyone else there?" Cross pressed the knife a little harder.

"It was just him! He met me by the dead tree... That's all I know..." Toka answered, his tail laughing nervously.

"Very well, you are no longer needed," "Wait-" Toka was cut short by a quick death. He was lucky, sometimes he would give people slow deaths, and the questioning was easy this time.

Cross left the room, leaving the body for the guards to deal with. He quickly made his way up the stairs to Nightmares throne.

As he entered the room he saw Nightmare waiting for him. He wasn't patient, but he knew Cross sometimes took a while to get answers.

"So?" Nightmare growled, Cross bowing his head to him. "He was hired by Ink, and only Ink... Probably trying to kill you so he could rescue Dreams," Cross explained to him.

Nightmare stood up, walking down to Cross. He dared not say another word without being spoken too first. He learned that lesson a long time ago.

"Very good, go get yourself a meal," Nightmare told him, walking past Cross and down towards his room.

"Tomorrow there will be a competition between fighters. I will be there to see who is acceptable for new guards..." Nightmare told him, his gaze on him.

"Bets will be placed of course, which is where I plan on you helping me," Nightmare told him, Cross' interest perking.

"Ive yet to see you get hurt more than a punch or two in battle," Nightmare continued, Cross following him out of the room.

They were heading towards the kitchen as they spoke. "Point is you will be in there winning for me," He finished. "It would be an honor," Cross replied.

"Good... Now go eat and sleep... You will need your strength," Nightmare said, leaving the room.

Cross turned and walked back towards his room.