Ark Two, Chapter Two

Cross lay with the blankets wrapped around him, head too busy with thoughts to sleep. They felt bringing in anxiety he had to quickly hide away because of Nightmares presence. 

He had fallen asleep a while ago, and was now snoring softly from where he was at his side. Cross could cuddle up to the king, but he feared doing so would alert him of the flurry of emotions Cross felt. So he stayed back a bit. 

X-Chara could return at any moment now. And if that happened, he didn't want to be asleep for it. He's lost his control to him before, and he feared what X-Chara would do to Nightmare if he managed to capture his mind. 

He sat up. He needed to stay away from his partner for a while... For his sake. He tried to slide off the edge of the bed, but a tendril whipped out from Nightmare and wrapped around his wrist. He stared at it, then at Nightmare. 

He had his eye open now, looking to him without much expression. "Where are you going?" He asked, not yet moving from his sleeping position. 

"Just for a walk. I'm not yet tired," Cross told him. That was a very bleek and perhaps too obvious lie. He felt exhausted, but still knew he couldn't risk sleep with X-Chara in his mind. 

When Nightmares eyes narrowed, he knew that the dark king had seen through his words. His tendril ble him go but flicked irritably. Nightmare hated liers, and he was about to hear a complaint or two for keeping things from him. 

"You just lied to me. It's blatantly obvious that you are not exactly lively. Your movements are slow, your eyes nearly half-lidded, and your voice dull from exhaustion. What is going on in your head that's making you stay awake?" Nightmare asked, at first sounding annoyed until a gentler hint of concern filled his voice. He finally sat up as well, looking him up and down for a moment. 

"It's personal," Cross whispered, trying to find any way he could avoid having to admit to the dangers he now possessed. Would Nightmare startle at the news? Order him to keep his distance for a while? Or worse, replace him as his Guard, even if only for the time being? "I'll be fine soon enough," He sighed, just hoping that one was true. 

"Very well..." Nightmare accepted it, flopping back down onto the mattress again. "But if this personal problem becomes any more troublesome, I want you to tell me. I'm as much your protector as you are mine," He said before letting his tired mind put him to sleep again. Cross looked over the handsome monster for a long moment before getting up and heading out the door. 

He used a hand to guild himself along the pitch black hallway. Soon he found the stairs, and made his way up them until he stood at the top.

"It's really sweet. How Nightmare wants to help you. It's unfortunate that he has no power against me," X-Charas voice chimed up in his head. He couldn't see his form, so he just glared ahead into nothingness. 

"Leave me be," Cross complained, starting to walk down the hall as if he could simply leave the demon behind him. "Find yourself a new vessel. I don't want you here," He added. 

"Without me, you'll cease to exist. You should be thanking me for being the sole thing between you and an awfully dusty oblivion" He replied. Cross hated that he was right. Without him, he wouldn't have enough power to be alive. How could he deal with X-Chara without folding in his own hand? 

He took him out before. Using sheer force. Maybe he had to sleep again. If he faced X-Chara he had a chance at winning. It would be a desperate fight for control, but Cross might have to take the risk in order to deal with the human inside his head. 

If he lost, he could lose everything. The fear of that might just give him the determination he needed to win. He'd have to do it. It could be quick and no one would even have to know about X-Chara ever pestering him like this. It would be done with just like that. 

Yes, he'd take that chance. He'd trust his strength to beat X-Chara. And god help him if he is wrong about this. 

He turned and headed back to bed.