Ark Two, Chapter Five

X-Chara looked bored standing by Nightmares side, something Cross never once felt. He always felt pride and power when he stood guard, if not a fierce undying love. He was honestly surprised Nightmare didn't sense the dull emotions from the imposter. He seemed to be too distracted by the women providing him with news from around the kingdom.

Cross hardly listened, walking around the throne room with no real intent. He still didn't know what he should be doing. "There has still been no sign of any rebellions, sir. It's almost as though the ones who attacked you have simply vanished," The woman who remained kneeled before Nightmare told him.

Cross looked to her, watching her keep her head bowed the whole time. Of course she thought the intruders had vanished. They disappeared to another reality all together. "One man however," The woman then began, seeming to tense slightly in preparation of whatever consequences her next words would bring. "He has been known to make... Predictions. Sometimes his rambling is nonsense but... " She glanced to X-Chara, who still seemed unamused.

"Out with it," Nightmare complained, leaning to the side of his throne and propping his head up in his hand. He seemed to be getting bored now too.

"He keeps repeating the same thing, and demanding you be informed. He says 'The imposter is here. And he'll have the throne.'" She said, fully looking up at Nightmare now.

Cross completely turned his ghostly body towards her now, alert. Someone out there had sensed this. They sensed it and alerted Nightmare. He turned towards his lover, seeing a look of curiosity on his face. X-Chara looked shocked, though he tried his best to hide it from the others. When Nightmare glanced over at him he didn't notice, or at least just believed the news had simply started him.

He had a hint now at least... If he notices things are wrong, he might just be able to gander with the idea of an imposter. But what were the odds of that? If X-Chara played his cards right, Nightmare might figure it out a heartbeat too late. Cross was already tired of having to rely on others to figure this out.

"Is this a threat. Kaya?" Nightmare asked, a harsher tone seeping into his voice. The woman just shook her head vigorously, which Nightmare was generous enough to believe. "Then you are dismissed." Nightmare gave a wave of his hand. With a nod, Kaya rushed off.

Cross watched her leave, then looked too X-Chara. He remained by Nightmares side, keeping quiet over that ordeal. Cross thought for a long moment, then with an idea he walked towards the door. X-Chara didn't seem to notice as he began to walk away from them both. He went to open one of the throne room doors, only for his hand to slip through it. He nearly tripped out of the room, but quickly regained himself. With a sigh he walked right through the doors and out into the hall.

He made his way down it, heading towards Zoie's room. When he looked inside, he saw her wrapping up a small package. He guessed she had already gotten her hands on a ring for him- Or X-Chara... It should be his ring, but it wasn't just yet.

"Zoie. Hello?" He tested his voice. His words fell on deaf ears. She hadn't moved at all. He looked around, eying her supplies. He stepped towards a tower of books. He swiped his hand through it, but nothing happened. "Come on..." He growled, trying again. Nothing.

He took in a deep breath and focused himself. He could do this. Ghosts have done this before, haven't they? With more force, he threw his hand into the book. Though he didn't feel himself collide with it, the top book moved just enough to topple off the tower. It landed on the floor with a loud thump.

Zoie jumped with a small squeak of alarm, nearly dropping the packaged ring. Both he and Zoie looked to the book in surprise. He stepped back a bit as she set the ring down and slowly approached the book. "That's... Odd," She muttered to herself as she picked it up and brushed it off. He looked at her desperately, but she just placed the book back on the pile and turned away.

"No! Zoie come on! I'm right here!" He called desperately, but again he could not be heard. Anger caused by frustration set him ablaze. He wanted to scream from the world he was trapped in. Actually, since no one would hear him anyway... He screamed his frustration in a long loud yell.

Zoie's ears twitched towards him. To his surprise she turned, looking straight at him. She looked unnerved. Had she heard that? Even if just the smallest bit, did she hear it? She was staring towards the window, nose twitching as she smelled the air. He looked back, and in the shadows of the path he saw movement.

He heard a cry. She was just hearing commotion outside... But what was going on out there? He rushed to find out, running for the exit and bursting out of the castle to look out on the dark path where a figure stood. He recognized him.

X-Chara flicked his hand, dark droplets of blood falling off and splattering the grass. Where did that blood come from? He quickly figured it out upon seeing the body of Kaya, blood pooling from a wound in her gut. She twitched slightly before falling completely still.

"You... You killed her!" Cross shouted. He has killed many before, but only those who Nightmare ordered him to. Kaya had been Nightmares messenger for years now, and he would have never advised this murder. She had even been a clue to stopping X-Chara!

"She was a threat. Of course I killed her. I can't have anyone loyal to Nightmare knowing about our little game," He scoffed, eyes still fixed on her body. "I'll just tell Nightmare she had been keeping a few dark secrets from him, and that I did it for him," He added.

Cross turned when Zoie stepped out of the castle. She looked uncertain, nose twitching nervously. "You killed Kaya? Why? What did she do?" She whispered, walking around Cross and freezing as she got a full view of the body.

"She was planning to harm Nightmare. I did what I had to," X-Chara said before pushing past her and heading back inside. Zoie just stared at the body.

"Kaya... Kaya would never do something like that. I knew her well. She was innocent!" She said to herself, glancing back to where X-Chara had disappeared. 

"Then you know it's not me Zoie! I wouldn't do this to a friend of Nightmare!" He stated his case to someone who couldn't hear him. She stepped back slowly, then fully turned away. Still... X-Chara was not as clean as he had hoped... There hints would only continue to grow from here. If he could communicate with someone, he'd be able to get himself out of this.