Chapter Seven

Cross followed Nightmare down into the darkness, following the light glow that came from Nightmares one eye.

As they reached his room, Nightmare turned back to him. "If you need anything, just call to me... For now I have work to do," He told him before disappearing into his room.

Cross turned his gaze back to the darkness, his senses alert. Anyone could be a threat to the king.

He could hear Nightmare shuffle around in his room, moving papers and growling to himself. Cross could imagine Nightmare being frustrated with work.

He chuckled at the thought. He turned his attention back to the darkness. He loved the fact that he was Nightmares first choice for most things...

As he heard something move in the darkness he growled, until he recognized it as tiny feet pattering on the cold stone floor.

A mouse... It was to small for a rat. He heard it scurry away when he moved slightly. "We got mice, Nightmare..."

"We always have them..." He growled back from the other side of the door. He was right, no matter what they tried, they would come right back.

He put the thoughts aside and continued guarding in silence.

******

Its had been three hours, and there still was no activity. Nightmare soon opened his doors and stepped out of the room.

"Thank you, Cross..." He whispered, making his way down the hall. Cross brightened up slightly at the thanks. "Of course, sir!"

Nightmare turned his gaze to him for a second. "You know... I was talking with Zoie... And she told me something"

OH NO.

"Made me think. How do you view me?" He asked, making Cross give him a nervous look. "Well, you're my king of course..."

"No, no. I mean relationship wise, what am I to you?" Nightmare asked, his tentacles lowering and voice becoming quiet.

Cross started to sweat slightly, questioning how he could answer that. "Nightmare, I see you as... As a good friend," Cross finally replied.

"I see..." He whispered, turning his gaze away. Before doing so Cross swore he saw a flash of disappointment in Nightmares gaze.

"Cross, you are free to go get something to eat," Nightmare told him, his tentacles pushing him slightly.

"Uh, sure," Cross replied. However he had a certain little bunny to talk too first.

******

"Why would you do something like that?!" Cross yelled at Zoie, his anger clear. He usually never gets this worked up.

"Calm down! I didn't even tell him anything, I was teasing him! About his own feelings, not yours!" Zoie argued, still smiling but also sweating.

"What?! Are you trying to say he likes me?" Cross asked, trying to put it all together. "Well, he clearly treats you way better than anyone else..."

Cross stepped back and thought for a moment. That's true... But Nightmare was extremely direct with all his emotions. "He thinks of me as a friend," Cross growled.

"I think you forgot something... Last time I checked I was straight," Cross added, turning his gaze away from her. "When was the last time you checked?!"

Cross couldn't give her a real answer... He hadn't crushed on anyone...

"That's what I thought," She muttered, tapping her foot impatiently. "Fine, but I still don't like him!"

"Aweeee, stop going into denial!" She giggled, making Cross mad again. It's not denial if its the truth.

"What makes you so sure he likes me?" Cross asked out of curiosity. He wanted to know what put the idea of him and Nightmare in her head.

"Hes soft on you that's for sure, he actually smiles around you, he trusts you for everything, and tell me how he reacted to you saying you thought of him as a friend..." Zoie told him.

Cross thought for a moment. He looked disappointed, then brushed him off... Oh shit... Could Nightmare have actually been interested in him?

Zoie was looking up at him with a raised brow. He didn't want to answer, it would just make her freak out and ship it even more.

"Um... I'd rather keep that to myself. It's more personal, dont you think?" His answer caused Zoie to frown, and he looked away from her before she could force him using her cute stare.

"Point is Zoie... I don't love him, alright? And even if I did, what am I supposed to do about it? He can't just take a servant and straight up say 'This is my lover now'. Besides, what about me is desirable?" Cross growled. He noticed Zoie was looking behind him. Thanks to every classical movie, he knew exactly who was behind him.

Nightmare...