Chapter Three

Cross squinted as the healer tightened the bandages around his shoulder, causing him pain. He tried his best to ignore the sting.

He best look fine, considering he had a prisoner to deal with. "You should probably take a break Cross," The rabbit told him, double checking the bandages.

"No, I have work to do. Zoie, you know this," He growled back to her, watching as she placed her hands on her hips. "I don't control how long it takes for the cut to heal..."

He stared down at Zoie. She was about half his size, and to be fair, adorable. She had her way of getting people to do what she wants using that ability.

It even worked on him and Nightmare... Nightmare of all people! He huffed slightly and glared back at her. She showed no fear of him.

She skipped over to the other side of the room, grabbing some pills. "You may try to hide it but I can tell you are in pain. These will help," Zoie told him, placing a couple pills in his hand.

He hummed and placed them in his mouth. They tasted funny and it wasn't pleasant, so he swallowed them down with some water Zoie handed him.

"Alright, come back to me if the pain starts up and gets worse," She told him, a small smile on her face. She always seemed to have a spark of happiness in her.

"Hah... I can handle the pain," He muttered as he made his way towards the door. "I know, I know! But it might get infected, even with my medicine!" She warned.

He hummed and left the room, leaving Zoie to her work. He had his own work to do...

He walked down the torch lit hallways towards Nightmares chambers. After hours like these he had to go down to meet Nightmare in his private chambers.

As he reached the darkness he pressed himself against the wall to keep track of where he was. He had grown to know how to get around the place.

As he reached Nightmares door he knocked gently. It didn't take long for Nightmare to open his door. His room was still dark until he lit a single candle so Cross could make out basic shapes in the room.

There was silence for a few moments until Nightmare spoke up. "How is that shoulder?" He asked, his tone calm and steady.

Cross paused and noticed how the pain had faded since he had Zoies medicine. "It will heal..." He replied, a small hint of amusement in his voice.

That had been the first time Nightmares shown any concern for him after any battle. Then again this is the most serious injury he's had in a long while.

"What you did today... That was over what I expected you ever to do," Nightmare whispered, his voice low. "You could have saved yourself the injury."

"I couldn't just watch someone stab you, sir," He replied, a small smile on his face. He knew Nightmare was attempting to thank him.

"Hmm... Would you like a break? That shoulder will cause you to be slow. Someone could replace you for the day or two?" Nightmare suggested, seeing how much Zoie had to wrap the wound.

"I would prefer you didn't get a replacement... I always do my job well," Cross pointed out, recalling how he worked no matter what.

"You will take a break... You haven't done that in a long while," Nightmare ordered. "You'll listen when I'm ordering you not to be a fool?"

"Very well, I will listen to you... That's my job," Cross replied, staying until he was properly dismissed by Nightmare.

He chuckled lightly. "You know, you really are my only friend in this hell of a world," Nightmare whispered, playfully hitting Cross with a tentacle.

This actually surprised him. It was the first time he's seen Nightmare act playfully, and he didn't know how to respond to his new mood.

Nightmare seemed to be awaiting a response, but he just took a step back and blinked. "Come on Cross, you can't be made up of seriousness..." Nightmare muttered.

It was obvious he was trying to provoke a response from Cross. He rolled his eyes in return. "Youre insane..." He chuckled, causing Nightmare to echo his chuckles.

"Go get some rest now, Cross..." Nightmare told him, swishing his tentacle over the candle and putting the light out.

He bowed, knowing Nightmare would be able to see him in the darkness thanks to his incredible vision.

Cross smiled and turned to walk out, Nightmare watching him go...