Ark Two, Chapter Eight

Cross glared as he saw X-Chara lean back in Nightmares throne, crossing his legs and smiling. Cross wished he could smack the smug look right off his face.

"What are you doing?" He growled while the imposter let out a quiet hackle. He stretched around on the throne further before sitting up and puffing out his chest like he already had the title of royalty. He even looked to Cross with a strong and powerful stare.

"Oh, I'm just getting a feel for it. Soon enough it, and all other of your beloved kings assets, will belong to me," X-Chara told him before slumping back down again. Cross really hoped someone would walk in and see this fool. "Oh, and about that wedding. I made the day as close as possible. Only a couple weeks. I'd be more inclined to call it my coronation day then wedding day, however."

"Someone will figure you out by then," Cross warned.

"Well, someone already has thanks to you. And I don't think she's doing too well because of it," X-Chara replied right before the doors swung open. He jumped from the throne and scrambled up onto his feet, acting as though he had never been sitting upon it. Cross rolled his eyes then looked over at whoever entered.

Fell stood in the doorway, eyes narrowed into his constant scowl as always. He didn't wear any armor or fancy attire. He wore the fluffy jacket he always had on when off duty. "Chara told me of what happened to Zoie," He told X-Chara, walking across the room to reach his side. He seemed at ease, falsely assuming his safety around his so-called friend. "Do you actually think she's the one behind those notes? It seems... Off," Fell told him.

"You haven't known her as long as I have. There were hints through all the years I've been around her" He replied with a quick lie. Fell tilted his head. "What?" He questioned upon seeing the action.

Fell studied his gaze, then bowed his head. "It's nothing. I just thought maybe you would put more thought into this before accusing her. She has been your, uh, friend for years. She always wanted to help you. Even healing you when you've been injured in battle," He pointed out, seeming to annoy X-Chara with his continued objections. "Don't you think there's a possibility that someone has framed her?"

"No. I know it was her. I'm sure of it, so you can drop it and do your job," He told Fell with a slight growl in his voice. His gaze wavered with a flicker of anger as well, setting off some sort of alert in Fell that made him step back wearily.

"Are you feeling all that well, Cross?" He asked slowly. "Usually you have less of a temper than this. The anger is sort of my thing," There was a sense of passive aggression in his voice. X-Chara looked like he wanted to strike him because of it, but held back from doing so.

"I just want to be alone," He lied, and so Fell nodded, wisely turned and walked away. Cross saw him glance back one last time before disappearing out the door. They slammed shut behind him.

"It seems Zoie isn't the only one sensing your odd behavior now," Cross pointed out. X-Chara hummed in an annoyed tone.

"It doesn't matter. This castle will be mine soon enough," He told him, then smiled for a moment. "You really need to stop rooting for my destruction, you know," He then said as he sat back down on the throne. Cross narrowed his eyes, but tried to stop his confusion from showing. It seemed he noticed anyway. "Oh? You haven't put those key pieces together yet, have you? Fine, let me explain it simply for you. Cross, if I am killed, you'll never be able to return to your destroyed body. It will be too late for you then."

Cross hadn't thought about that. If the imposter was killed, he'd have no body to return to. It would just be dust. "I'll figure it out," Cross told him, turning to leave the room.