Chapter Five

Cross had spent yet ANOTHER day locked up in his room, only leaving for food. He had seen Nightmare only once while passing the throne room.

He had been talking with the other servant. He needed to heal! What if Nightmare liked the new girl? Did he really just question that?

Now he was getting a drink of water. He never liked making the lower servants do things for him, not when he could do it himself.

He was happy when he caught sight of Nightmare walking down the hall. His gaze caught Cross' and he smiled slightly. "Ah, I see you are up and about..."

Cross bowed his head. "I'm not letting my shoulder control what I do..." Cross told him with his usual calm tone.

Nightmare chuckled lightly. "Good... I hope you are healed by tomorrow," He told Cross. He hardly heard however, he was to busy looking at his replacement.

She was staring back rather calm, but deep in her gaze was a hint of jealousy. She probably swished to keep his job... Bad news for her, that job belonged to him.

"I will see you tomorrow Cross..." Nightmare told him. "Yes, sir," Cross replied with a bow, watching the two walk off together.

He huffed and turned to continue what he was doing. "Wow, you were glaring at her!" The familiar voice of Zoie chimed in.

"You are the reason I hate life," He growled, narrowing his eyes as he went into the kitchen. Zoie followed him.

She giggled and watched him. "Hmm... Yeah, you'll be fine by tomorrow," She told him. He ignored her and continued to drink.

"I am so ready to murder Dust," Cross growled, turning to Zoie. "I lost my goddamn job for a few days because I had to throw my sword to-" "To save your senpai~"

"I'm going to kill you too!" He snapped. Zoie let out a small squeak as he left to tackle her. He forgot something though. The girl was fast and skilled.

She rolled away from under him, turning to use her feet to kick him away. He growled and dodged before jumping at her again.

The second he had her pinned there was a voice from the door. "Cross...?" His head turned and looked towards the door. He saw Nightmare looking at him with shock and confusion.

"I... I didn't mean to interrupt..." He muttered, looking away from the two, a strange look on his face. Cross' face lit up in a uncontrollable blush. Zoie was giggling.

"N-no! You aren't! Just bad timing! We were fighting about... About..." Cross realized he couldn't just tell Nightmare the conversation.

"About how I keep annoying him," Zoie told him. She wasn't lying, not telling it all. Cross quickly got off her.

"I see... Zoie if you keep being a pain, I will punish you..." Nightmare growled, instantly taking Cross' side.

Zoie dropped her ears and gave him puppy dog eyes. "I'm sorry..." She whispered, making her look perfectly adorable.

Nightmare paused, falling into her little trap. "Its fine..." He whispered, looking back towards Cross.

"When you are free, meet me in the dungeon... We need to talk with Dust," Nightmare told him, narrowing his eye as he thought. Cross was a little surprised.

Usually Nightmare didn't go near prisoners, especially those who want him dead. "Sir, with all due respect, isn't that dangerous?" Cross asked, Zoie watching them.

He hoped she would say nothing about her little ship between them.

"I will be fine, I waited until you would be there to protect me," Nightmare replied, Zoie squealed at this and Cross had to give her a small push.

"Of course... No one will lay a finger on you," Cross bowed back to him. Nightmare chuckled in return.

"You are far to formal Cross, I'm not going to kill you if you don't act like this," Nightmare told him, noticing Zoies squealing and raising his brow.

That was an interesting statement... Seemed like murder is something he would do. Cross however simply nodded his head in return, trying to think of a way he could follow that order yet still be respectful.

"Alright... Let's go talk to Dust," Nightmare chuckled, turning and walking out. Cross nodded goodbye to Zoie before following after his king.

She watched them go with a smile. "They better fall in love..."