Ark Two, Chapter Seven

Zoie had paused for a while, taking a break to control her panic. Cross watched closely, wishing to give his friend some comfort. After a few more moments she pushed off the wall and took off.

Cross followed Zoie as she made her way towards Nightmares throne room. She was running fast, and Cross nearly had difficulty keeping up with the flee footed rabbit. He ran through the doors with her when she managed to throw them open with her small body.

No one was there. "Nightmare, where are you?" She questioned, running around the throne like he could be hiding on the other side of it. Cross joined her in the search, rushing through the doors that led out to the beautiful courtyard. Before long Zoie was beside him.

They both looked over the flowers and perfectly trimmed trees. From where they stood on the path, it could be preceived that they were alone. That assumption was false.

As the underbrush moved, Zoies ears pivoted towards the sound. Cross looked, watching X-Chara step out into view. Zoie blinked a couple times when she saw him. "No, you... Where's Nightmare?" She asked, stepping back as he only stepped closer.

"A safe distance away from you, traitor," X-Chara growled, reaching a hand into his jacket.

"A safe distance? What are you talking about?" She asked, backing away still. Her breaths had quickened and her nose twitched rapidly. They could both sense the hostility. When X-Chara pulled out a book and threw it down in front of her, she flinched and her ears dropped. She looked at it for a moment, then back up at him. "I don't understand..."

"Don't you?" The imposter asked as he pulled out the piece of paper Cross had written. His heart dropped. He had chosen who he wanted to frame then... "This is just the first note of many too. Though I'm sure you know that."

With a wave of X-Charas hand, he used magic to open up the book he had dropped. As Zoie picked up the book, he could read the notes. There were plenty of sentences, all written in the hurried and messy way Cross had written the first one. Zoie flipped through a few pages, just revealing more.

She looked up at him, eyes wide. "No... I didn't-"

"Didn't mean to get caught? Oh, I'm sure of that. But such accusations you've written couldn't be kept hidden forever. Especially when you place the first note right down the hall from your room," X-Chara pointed it out like he had a real piece of evidence. "I remember a few quotes. About your obsession with Nightmares love life, your need to be a part of it any way you can, even just setting me and him up and projecting yourself onto me. Then, at last when your obsession grew too powerful, your wishes to replace me and make sure I wouldn't return," He said so calmly.

"If I weren't certain before, I know you're you're someone else now," Zoie said as she tossed the book aside. X-Chara watched it fall off to the side of the path.

"Let me guess. You were scheming with Kaya, and told her to tell Nightmare that silly story of the prophetic man? Shameful," He scoffed. He turned back, looking up towards a shadow basked balcony. "Is this good enough for you, lover?" He asked.

Nightmare formed out of the shadows, roughly grasping the railing of the balcony and staring down at Zoie with his eye furrowed in a mix of anger and hurt. "I would be lying if I said I didn't wish to doubt it. I've always considered you my friend," He told Zoie, tendrils coiling up tightly.

"She wouldn't do this to you! You must know that!" Cross tried to call, but of course everyone either didn't hear him or ignored his presence.

"Cross..." The king spoke calmly. X-Chara watched him closely. "Why do I sense... Happiness from you?" He asked, slowly turning his gaze on the poser. X-Chara froze up for a moment.

He quickly regained himself. "I am just relieved she didn't get between us. I don't know what I'd do if I lost you," He lied smoothly. Nightmare hummed in acceptance.

"No, Nightmare! It's not true! I saw him alone in the hallway, yelling at someone. He said Cross's name in his rant. This isn't your lover!" Zoie yelled up at the king.

"Silence!" X-Chara snapped at her.

She turned on him with a glare. "I won't listen to a single word you say! I know madness when I see it! And you screaming at the air was enough for me to tell!" She yelled right back, ears straightening in her determined stance.

X-Chara pulled out his dagger, the moonlight catching it and making a silver sheen shine across the blade. He pointed it at her, but only for a second before Nightmares voice boomed from the balcony above.

"Lower your weapon, Cross! Do not let your personal emotions interfere with this," Nightmare warned. "I want to know why this all came up so suddenly," He demanded, looking between both the imposter and Zoie.

"I can answer that for you. She thought she had to act fast because I told her about..." He hesitated and gave a sigh "This isn't how I wanted this to go," Suddenly X-Chara was putting on a soft act, sulking and looking to Nightmare with hurt eyes. Cross approached him as he pulled the ring box out of his pocket.

"No, stop it!" Cross yelled at him. X-Chara only caught his gaze for a moment before it focused on Nightmare. "Please, X! Don't do this!"

"Nightmare, my beloved king," He used a finger to flick the box open and reveal a skull shaped black diamond ring. Nightmares eye widened and his tendrils managed to come to a complete stop, even Zoie couldn't say anything. "Will you marry me?"

Silence filled the garden. Cross dreaded Nightmares reply. If he said yes, this faker would fully take away his happy ending. After a few long moments, Nightmare squeaked out his answer.

"Yes," He said swiftly. "Yes, Cross. Of course," He continued, his tendrils moving again. They seemed faster than normal now, elevated by his overwhelming emotions.

X-Chara smiled wide. Not out of love like Cross would have, but out of success.

"It's a ploy! It's not real!" Zoie shouted, making Cross jump. He had nearly forgotten.

Rage and refusal flashed across Nightmares face. He will never even want to believe the truth now. This marriage was clearly something he longed for, and he'd be determined to believe it was all real.

"Send her to the dungeon. We'll deal with her later- Don't let Fell and Chaea guard her!" Nightmare told X-Chara, who gave a bow of courtesy before turning and grabbing Zoie by the arm. She thrashed in his grip and punched at the hand holding her as he started dragging her away. He wasn't affected by her hits, and soon enough had disappeared back inside.

Cross looked up at Nightmare, watching the king take in a deep breath. He looked down into the garden. For a moment he thought Nightmare might be looking at him. Then he saw him raise his hand to use magic and throw the book far into the bushes where it vanished. With that he turned and entered his palace once more.

Cross stood devastated.