Ark Two, Chapter Four

"Oh, this is amazing!" X-Chara said as he examined himself in the mirror that hung in Nightmares room. The king had already left to do his duties and the imposter had taken the time to study the body he had stolen from him. 

Cross watched him from a distance, eyes narrowed. He despised seeing himself controlled by another being. Especially one as malicious as X-Chara. As he stepped closer, he realized he couldn't even see his spirit in the mirror. It was like he didn't exist.

"Don't get used to that body. It doesn't belong to you, and you won't be having it long," Cross growled at him. X-Chara just turned, leaning back against the wall and giving a small smirk while he stared at him. 

"Is that so? Well, tell me then. Just how will you get your body back?" He asked, raising one of his hands and examining the talon like fingertips on each finger. 

Cross couldn't answer. He wasn't sure just yet… "I may not have a plan, but unlike you I have something to fight for. I have people I need to protect, so I won't stop until I have that body back and you are silenced forever," He told him, stepping closer and glaring at him with more determination and courage than he's ever felt before. 

X-Chara gave a small laugh and walked forward, stepping right through Cross's ghost and heading for the doorway out of the room. He flinched at the action. "But I have something to fight for too. You see, nothing will bring me more joy and happiness than watching your life fall apart. I'll fight a hundred battles just to watch you suffer. Hatred is a very strong motivator," He said before leaving the room. 

Cross followed close behind, keeping his eyes locked on his enemies every movement. It wouldn't do him much good however, for there was no battle… All he could do for the time being was watch as X-Chara slowly tore apart his world. This life wasn't at all like the life he had years ago, but he had grown to love it. All of it. And now X-Chara was going to destroy it. Was he going to have to start all over again?

He shook his head of the grim thoughts. He still had to hold onto hope. Whatever that hope may be. He knew how clever and quick witted he could be. If even the slightest inkling of an opportunity showed itself to him, he'd grasp it and refuse to let go until he had his body and life back. 

The imposter made it to the top of the stairs and looked around. "What do you plan on doing?" Cross asked as he soon stood beside him. He could hear a few guard's chattering in the distance, and he hoped they wouldn't cross X-Charas path. If they did, who knows what tricks he might play on them?

"Well, I thought I'd talk to a couple friends of yours. Really get to know them. It makes destroying them all the more intimate," He replied to Cross, heading down the left hall with a proud strut Cross sincerely hoped he didn't usually carry. "What was that little ones name? The rabbit who always messes with you and Nightmare?" 

"Zoie? You leave her be! What good is there tormenting her? She's done nothing to you!" Cross snapped, trying to run in front of X-Chara to stop him. Once again, he fazed right through him. It sent a shiver through his ghostly body this time around, and he turned to watch the imposter continue on. 

He entered Zoie's room. She had been organizing her things, which honestly surprised Cross. Often she had a chaotic mess that only she could navigate through, but at long last she was finally putting things where they should be. 

Her ears perked up as X-Chara stepped into the room. She turned towards him, a small smile on her face. "Oh! Hi there, Cross! Can I help you with something?" She asked, her tiny nose twitching eagerly. 

"Yes, actually. I just need a small favor," X-Chara said in a tone of voice that matched how Cross usually spoke for once. It felt weird hearing it from someone else, but didn't comment. 

"What kind of favor?" Zoie asked as she put a few books down on the shelf. A herbology book, a phycology book, and… Hmm… A romance book. Out of place with the other two, but still somewhat fitting of Zoie herself. 

"Well, I'm thinking… Maybe it's about time I actually officially," He took a long pause, glancing back at Cross as if to make sure was indeed listening. "Proposed to Nightmare so we can have a true wedding," He finished. 

Shock flooded through Cross. If he had a glass of water, this would be the part where he spits it all out like some cartoon. "What?!" He yelled once he could speak again. "You can't do that! You can't take something like that away from me!" But in the end Cross knew X-Chara could. And he knew how much it would enrage and torment Cross to do so. To trick Nightmare like this and take away his proposal… Well, X-Chara was relying on that devastation. 

That and… Well, if he keeps building Nightmare up, the fall will only hurt more…

Zoie was frozen for a moment, then a long squeal came from her that was nearly a scream. X-Chara cringed slightly, glancing around as if uncomfortable. Then Zoie jumped and thumped her foot as any excited rabbit does. The imposter forced a smile back on his face when she focused on him again. 

"Oh my goodness! That's so exciting! You and Nightmare, getting married! A royal wedding no less!" Zoie squeaked out, making X-Chara force out a not so sincere laugh. 

"I just need help finding you know, a ring. Can you help me do that?" He asked, and Zoie just nodded furiously. She was blind to the fact she was being played. She truly thought this was him. Then again, why wouldn't she? She had no idea about X-Charas existence… No one really did.

"I'll find you the prettiest ring in all the land! Don't you worry about that!" She giggled, before looking back on her half organized things. A book pile fell over, scattering a few books across the floor. "Eh, I'll clean that later. This is more interesting." 

Cross could guess she wouldn't…

X-Chara smiled and turned away. "Thank you, Zoie," He said before walking out. He nearly bumped into Chara as he stepped out. He saw a look of interest flash in the imposters eyes as she moved back to avoid him. 

"Chara," He greeted with a small smile. Chara looked over at him. She had her hair up in a ponytail, and comfortable armor covered her body. She must be on duty, patrolling the halls. Usually Fell would be with her, but perhaps he got caught up with something else. Her brown, red tinted eyes fell on X-Chara. 

"Hey, Cross. I'm surprised you're not currently guarding Nightmare with your life," She noted. Cross felt a hint of hope with that. Maybe if X-Chara keeps this dance up, someone will notice all the differences and call the imposter out on them. 

"I have a lot of important things to attend to. I'll be by his side soon enough," He replied. "I'll be going now actually. Enjoy your patrol," X-Chara said before turning and walking the other direction. Cross watched them part, then followed his stolen vessel. 

"I wonder. She's a Chara too, isn't she? I'm curious. Would she side with me if I told her everything? I could have a powerful partner," X-Chara spoke his thoughts out loud. 

Cross scoffed. "Why would she betray us to side with someone like you?" He asked. 

"Well, she's just like me I'm sure. Besides, she's betrayed her team before, hasn't she? She once was a friend of Ink, and now she's yours. You're a fool to trust her, or Fell for that matter," X-Chara told him as he reached Nightmares throne room.

Cross hated the truth behind his words. He trusted the two anyway, and pleaded that if X-Chara did tell her everything, she'd tell Nightmare.