Ark Two, Chapter Six

Cross snarled as the pen slipped from his apparition hand once again. He had been alone in a awfully stuffy and dark room, attempting to write out a letter. He knew he couldn't write much for very long before he lost his ability to affect the world around him. He didn't know exactly how that worked yet. Right now he had a poorly written letter saying "Cross is an imposter" though it looked more like insane squiggles.

He tried to pick the paper up and groaned when he failed to do so. This was getting more and more difficult when he had hoped it would get easier the longer he worked on his slight power. Magic had also turned out to be useless, making him look like an idiot when he pointed and moved his hand at random things. "Stupid ghost body!" He complained, continuously trying to swipe up the note.

"Wow. Getting tired of your afterlife already?" X-Charas voice came from the doorway. Cross quickly blocked his view of the paper as he turned to him. He had to make sure he didn't find out about this... He would just tear up the note and make sure he didn't get his hands on any more pens ever again.

"It's not exactly thrilling," Cross replied as X-Chara looked around the room. Being in a supplies closet might not be the most unsuspicious thing in the multiverse... "It's the only place no one really goes. I didn't want to see anyone, especially you. How did you even find me exactly?" He asked, to which X-Chara shrugged innocently.

"I could sense you. I still have a piece of your soul, don't you forget," He replied, stepping towards one of the boxes. He looked inside it before he put his hand in and pulled out a couple of old cleaning clothes the servants used. He scoffed then threw them off to the side like they were garbage.

"Oh trust me, I haven't forgotten about that," Cross growled, the corner of his mouth twitching in the start of a grimace. X-Chara turned for the door.

"Well fine, have fun with your cleaning supplies. Maybe use it to clean up that attitude. You're gonna be married to Nightmare soon. Or your body will be anyway," He huffed as he strolled proudly out of the closet. Cross rolled his eyes, ignoring the pain and annoyance that spiked inside him at the reminder. He went to pick up his paper. Luckily it worked this time.

He left the room, looking both ways to make sure X-Chara was nowhere to be seen. Once he was certain, he made a run for Nightmares quarters. He wanted to leave this note in there, right where his lover would find it. He froze when he realized the paper wasn't in his hands anymore. He looked back to see it flow down to the floor. He rolled his eyes and went back to grab the stupid thing.

He bent down, but stopped when a shadow cast over him. He looked up, seeing Nightmare. This... Was surprisingly convenient. He wouldn't have to go all the way down stairs with a constantly dropping note then. He could read it here and now, still without X-Chara knowing about it.

He stood close by Nightmare's side, only a breath away. He watched him wrap a tendril around the note and pull it up. He stared at it for a moment, eye narrowing as he brought it into his hand. Cross flinched slightly as the tentacle fazed through his body to continue its subconscious swaying and twitching behind Nightmares back. He properly opened the note, reading it to himself in a soft mumble

Nightmare looked up after he read it, glancing around to try and find someone. No one was around. Just his spirit and Nightmare. It nearly hurt being so close, yet so far away. He attempted to touch Nightmare, lay his head on his shoulder, but it was to no avail. He sank right through.

"Who would write this?" Nightmare asked himself. "This must be some kind of joke. The one daring to mess with me like this must have quite the backbone. They'll be lucky if I don't have Cross break it," Nightmare then growled as he crumpled up the note in his hand. Hurt hit Cross hard, like a blow to his chest. He doesn't believe it...

"It's the human, Nightmare," Cross sighed, trying to grab onto Nightmare again. He just wanted to feel his touch, but still he couldn't seem to affect the living. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about that monster living inside me before, even if I thought he would sleep forever... Now, due to my secret, you're his next victim. How could I do that to you?"

He felt so guilty... So foolish. All he ever wanted was to serve and protect his king. Why did he think he could handle X-Chara on his own?

"What's that?"

Cross turned along with Nightmare. The imposter stood, watching Nightmare with an expressionless face. "It's nothing. Just someone trying to play me as a fool," He told him, tossing the crumbled paper ball at X-Chara. He easily caught it and started to open and straighten out the crumpled letter. The only one playing him for a fool here, was X-Chara.

When Nightmare looked away and X-Chara had finished reading the letter, Cross received a harsh and threatening glare from him. He stepped back, though he didn't think he could be harmed at the moment. "How dare they?" He growled through gritted teeth, eyes still fixed on Cross. Nightmare hummed his agreement, unaware.

"You're free to investigate the matter if you so choose," Nightmare told him, affectionately bumping a tendril into the shoulder of X-Chara. "I must handle something else. With Kaya revealed as a traitor, I have to find myself a new messenger," Nightmare said, before his gaze warmed towards X-Chara. "I love you."

X-Chara looked up and forced a smile. "I love you too," He said.

"Liar," Cross huffed. He looked to Nightmare and felt his own love blossom. He would love to tell Nightmare paragraphs on how much he loved him right now. Unfortinatly it would be wasted breath.

Nightmare walked off with a smile. Once he disappeared out of earshot, X-Chara looked to Cross. He expected to hear a long rant about how much the human hated him, but instead he slowly started to laugh. He already knew he would have preferred to be scolded.

"You think you're clever, don't you? Writing this note for Nightmare? You thought you were being smart by giving him this?" He held up the note, being surprisingly delicate with the paper. "Well you've been more of a hindrance to yourself now. You see, this little thing is what's going to get someone executed. You just sentenced some innocent person to death with this little stunt," He told him, carefully putting the paper into his pocket.

"What? No! You can't just-" Cross began but X-Chara cut him short.

"Frame someone? That's just it, Cross. I can! I can do whatever I want! Because Nightmare trusts who he believes is you more than anyone in this castle. I have full control. My word beats the word of anyone else. If I say someone is guilty of treason, then they're guilty," He told him, straightening his posture victoriously. His sly smile would have said enough.

With that he turned and stalked off. Cross watched him before bowing his head in defeat. Then he saw movement in the corner of his eye. He looked towards it.

There, peaking around the corner, was Zoie. Her ears were flat against her head, eyes unblinking. She hurried away, suddenly a lot bigger threat to X-Chara than Cross could ever be.

A/N: Having fun yet?