Chapter Ten

Cross looked around the beautiful garden, sighing as he relaxed. "Don't let your guard down yet!" Nightmare growled.

He paused upon realizing it was no longer night. For the first time in what felt like forever the sun was shining down on them

Nightmare didn't seem pleased. He had himself pressed close to Cross and he was trying to keep the sun away from his face.

"Quick! Lets run!" Zoie told them, grabbing Cross by the hand. "Can you get my damned handcuffs first?" Nightmare asked, causing them both to stop.

Zoie quickly went for his handcuffs. Upon managing to unlock them, Nightmare threw a tentacle around her and Cross.

His form became a black ball of shadow, other than the two tentacles grabbing them. He suddenly shot up words into the sky, causing the two to scream.

Cross stared down as the ground became small and they shot through the clouds. Nightmare came to a sudden stop and they both watched his magic take form in amazement.

The sky turned a dark violet and the sun seemed to almost dim. Soon it plummeted below the earth and the glistening moon rose along with the stars.

Then Cross felt that they were falling. He was about to yell when there was a sudden 'woosh' and they started to glide.

He looked up to see Nightmare, but instead of tentacles he had a large pair of wings. They were at least five times the length of Nightmare.

Zoie looked just as shocked and they soared through the sky and down towards a mountain. Cross could see Nightmare was eyeing a cave.

"Oh boy..." Cross whispered before Nightmare folded his wings slightly and they shot down towards the cave.

Zoie was screaming and Cross was just staring wide eyed at the cave opening. Nightmare suddenly spread his wings and the two of them were thrown inside.

They rolled across the cave ground slightly before Cross raised his head to see Nightmare fly inside, landing softly unlike them.

The wings turned back into tentacles and Nightmare sat down right beside the entrance. Cross turned his gaze to check on Zoie.

She stood up, shaking slightly and holding herself. Cross then looked at Nightmare, who was holding his head in his hand.

Cross quickly moved to his side. "Sir, are you alright?" He asked, sitting down in front of Nightmare.

"You don't have to call me that... I'm not king... I never was meant to be..."

******

Ink looked at the sky with shock then turned to Chara, who looked nervous. After finding out about Nightmares escape they met back at the throne room.

Dream had been released from his stone prison and was now standing beside Ink.

"Chara... You had one job. Can I not trust you with even that? I thought you said you would give your life for this mission?" Ink asked, no emotion in his voice.

He had not drinking any of his vails of emotions. Instead he stayed emotionless so he could be serious.

"Ink, I didn't mean to-" "If you want to punish anyone, punish me for pulling her away from her work..." Fell interrupted, causing Dust to raise a brow at him.

"Why bother standing up for her?" He asked, only to be hushed by Ink. "Both of you have to find them..." Ink growled.

"As long as they are out there, they are dangerous... And since you have risked all of our lives, you will risk yours finding them," Ink ordered.

Fell and Chara bowed their heads.

******

Nightmare had pushed both Zoie and Cross away, clearly wanting to be alone at the moment.

Cross sighed and leaned his back against a different part of the cave, Zoie pressed against his side.

He could feel her shaking. "Why are you shaking like that? You are safe..." Cross pointed out. "I'm cold!" She shot back.

Oh. "That's why you are being so touchy?" He questioned. She nodded her head. "You are warm... Even if you are a skeleton."

He didn't exactly feel heat like most unless we are talking ice cold and burning hot. He put an arm around Zoie.

Upon doing so he caught sight of Nightmare glaring at the two. He hadn't put the arm around her to show affection... Just an attempt to keep her warm.

Nightmare clearly didn't see it that way. His tentacles seemed to be throwing a tantrum of their own. The sound of them hitting the cave wall was audible.

"Nightmare, please quit acting that way... If you want attention you can't cower in the corner like that," Cross bravely pointed out, not fearing him retaliating against him.

"Watch your tone!" Nightmare shot back. "Come on! You are clearly jealous that I put my arm around Zoie~"

He felt Zoie punch him in the side lightly for that. "Don't make him hate me..." She muttered, pulling his fluffy jacket around herself.

That seemed to be the last move for Nightmare and he finally sat beside them, pulling Cross close using his tentacles.

He smiled and put an arm around Nightmare. He realized Nightmare probably saw this as love.

He ignored that and let himself drift off into a peaceful sleep.