Chapter 49.

Songs for the chapter:

Little Bird - Ed Sheeran
I Won't Last A Day Without You - The Carpenters

Aubrey's POV*

I turned my head at the last second. I couldn't. I thought I'd forgiven him, but I hadn't. It clearly wasn't yet. There was something that was holding me back and apparently I hadn't figured it out yet. It definitely wasn't the time for us, to be 'us' again. I saw the way he looked at me and felt his heart beat on my skin. He wanted to do anything he possibly could to earn my trust back. I could tell. Anyone could tell. I looked at him differently and I smiled with my full intentions of forgiving him.

I slowly parted from him, feeling bad at how he must feel. My view went directly to his eyes, but they were closed. I felt his grip loosen on my waist and then completely let go. There was no way I could face him.

My mouth opened to say something. "I'm sorry." I whispered and walked out of the room. I went into the kitchen and wrapped up my plate of food, then placed it in the fridge. There was no way I could eat anything now. I kept his on the table, knowing that he'd eventually eat his.

My feet led me into the bedroom, and I quickly washed up, and got into bed. I didn't wait for him this time. I had to force myself to fall asleep before he came back into the room. I shut my eyes and tried to relax myself. The only way to do it was to try and think about anything else. 

..

"Grandpa, where are you going?" I asked with big eyes as he came out from the kitchen. I was in my room playing with my dolls when I heard his footsteps. I could tell that it was my grandpa by the sound of his walk. To me, it was somehow quite distinct. I quickly made my way out and met him in the hallway. He was in his formal casual clothes as always. A plaid shirt and neatly pressed pants, his black polished shoes to match. There was never a time where I'd see him go out not looking dapper. Only at night was the time he wore sweats and a sweatshirt.

"I'm going out precious." He told me and held onto my chin, letting go not long after. The sun was out and it was simply just a beautiful day; it made me want to breathe some fresh air and who better to go with than my grandfather?

"Can I come with you?" My tone was friendly as always with him. He was my favourite person in the entire house. He was my best friend. I told him everything I was feeling. I'd never lied to him. Then again, even if I tried to lie, I couldn't do so. He's always find out. No one could ever replace him. He was so special.

"Not today, sweet Rhea." I was confused. He usually never told me that I couldn't come unless it was to the hospital or doctor for a checkup.

"Why not?" My curiosity sparked.

"I'll be back soon." He mentioned, ignoring my question, and then went to see my mum who was sat in the living room. I was still confused by his response towards me. I followed him and watched their interaction. "Did you want anything from the store?"

It hadn't taken too long before I got bored of their conversation. I started to spin in my spot. Round and round, I spun. "No, I think I made a list and placed it on the table. Did you see it?" She asked him.

"Yes. I just wanted to double check. Are Jessica and her husband coming today for dinner?"

"Yeah, they'll be here at five."

"Alright. I should be back before then." He paused and his expression changed. "Aubrey, can you stop that!"

I stopped immediately and looked at him. His eyes had fury in them and his brows were furrowed. Before I knew it, I was crying, and I ran back into my bedroom. My mum followed me, and patted me on the back, trying to get me to calm down.