Our Song

It took me three hours and fifteen minutes to convince Ashton to do something outside of the house. He insisted he was fine staying inside and watching television with Xander and I. Any other time I would've loved that idea, but a wash of confidence was upon me and felt like I could manage being out and about for a few hours to distract Ashton.

"It's just the mall." I said that like I wasn't bothered by going to the mall on a regular day. I didn't know who I would run into from high school and I didn't want to stop and have awkward conversations with them.

I grabbed my purse and started for the door. Ashton followed closely behind, bidding goodbyes to my mom.

I firmly gripped the steering wheel of my mother's car, tapping my thumb to the beat of whatever song was on the radio as I drove. There was an awkward tension in the car, but I didn't want to address it and make things more awkward. I glanced over at Ashton, who was running his fingers through his hair and looking out the passenger's window through his dark-shaded sunglasses.

He seemed to only be talkative when we were around other people and hesitant when it was just us. He seemed to be good at pretending when other people were involved. This was a big difference in attitude. Maybe he didn't want me to bring up Sarah...And if that was the case, I wouldn't talk about it unless he brought it up. I'd try my greatest to get his mind off the Devil in human form. That was what friends were for. I hoped, at least. My only solid friend was Luke and it had been that way since I left high school. Was Ashton my friend though? I'd say yes because I couldn't see any other reason why he would show up to my house after the incident. Friends trusted each other with that stuff. I hated to overthink it though.

"You're sure this mall is quiet?" Ashton finally spoke up.

"If it wasn't, we'd still be at home." I chuckled.

"You always sound so sarcastic when you talk, you know that?" The simple act of his laughter dropped twenty pounds my shoulders. It felt refreshing to hear his genuine laughter fill the car. "I never know if you're joking or if you're being serious."

"Yeah, it's something I've been meaning to work on." I pulled into an empty parking space as we had reached our destination. I felt slightly insecure being called out on the tone of my voice, but I needed to let it go over my head. "I'm sorry."

"There's nothing to be sorry about unless you've actually done something horrible." I watched as he unbuckled his seatbelt and faced me.

"I guess I just apologize all the time to make up for the shitty people who don't put apologies out in the world."

"Talia Kozma, making the world a better place one apology at a time." He dropped his Australian accent for a deep American one as we both got out of the car.

He was funny, I could give him that.

"Where's my Nobel Peace Prize?" I pushed my sunglasses up the bridge of my nose.

"I think you'll just have to settle for being awarded in the form of a smoothie!" He walked closely to me as we approached the outdoor mall.

There were a few kids playing to the left on the playscape, their parents watching carefully nearby in between conversations.

"I should inform you that I am not a fan of smoothies and I only accept recognition of my work in the shape of a medal."

"Talia, our friendship will end right this second if you don't tell me you're lying about not being a fan of smoothies!"

"Are you blackmailing me into this?" I asked as we walked into our first store. I didn't know what it was called, but it was sleek and minimalistic and caught my eye.