Orientation

August 2, 2014

Today would mark the first day I had made myself look presentable to New York City. Only because I had orientation today. The director emailed all new students with strict rules on how we put together our appearance depending on what our major was. Fashion majors were to dress as they were going to a 'formal brunch' with 'Tom Ford' and the goal was to 'look better than he would.' Was that possible? That guy was basically molded into a well-tailored suit.

Last night I Skyped with Ashton while I put together an outfit, it was harder than it sounded because I kept getting distracted. Ashton wasn't much help - obviously. He suggested I just show up naked because that would definitely look better than Tom Ford at brunch. I came to no conclusion on the outfit so I opted for doing it last-minute. I got my best ideas under pressure.

I kept my makeup to a minimum yet classic look, given that the temperature was pushing the triple digits today. I didn't want to sweat off everything and look like a clown. A clown could upstage Tom Ford, so it was kind of convincing. But I didn't want to give away all my party tricks today.

I pulled on a long-sleeved white chiffon blouse; the collar and cuffs were black. I stood for a nice five minutes in front of the mirror in solely the blouse, pep talking myself through the heat I haven't even walked into yet. With eight minutes to spare before the time I wanted to leave, I swiftly pulled on a black leather skater skirt, tucking the blouse in. I slipped on solid white ankle socks to keep my feet from getting sweaty and smelly in the heels I chose to wear. I walked around my bedroom, allowing my feet to get used to the high-heeled lace up booties before swinging on a rose colored bag.

Walking shoulder to shoulder with strangers on the sidewalks was not something anyone should adapt to. I was sure I had a fifty-year-old CEO male's sweat lingering on me as I walk. I scanned the people I could and every seemed to be transfixed by their cell phones. I would join them now that Xander was calling me.

"T!" Xander cheered once I answered.

"Hello, Xander." My phone did that annoying thing where it put itself on speaker by the touch of my cheek and it startled the possible CEO next to me.

"What are you up to?"

"Just walking to the school for orientation."

"Oooo, don't puke."

"I'll try not to." I hadn't thought about the possibility of being so nervous that I'd end up puking, but now I was thinking about that.

"Have you spoken to Ana?"

"Nope, she was supposed to call me like two days ago, but she never called. I guessed she was busy or something."

"She's going crazy, straight insane, T." So, maybe, things hadn't changed back home. That was a relief. I did feel bad for missing so much.

"What happened?"

"She found out she's having twins!"

"Twins?!" I shrieked, again startling the man next to me. "Sorry..." He gave a simple nod.

"Yup."

"And that's a bad thing?"

"Here, I'll quote what she told mom, 'One baby half ruins you, but two at the same time tears up a tiny person like myself!'"

"Oh god."

"Whenever I see her, she's yelling her head off or freaking out. It's funny. But poor Jack though, I've seen him at least everyday since they found out, that's how bad Ana is...he has to sneak away from her."