Yellow

I picked at the roasted potatoes on my plate as I watched Ben and his girlfriend, Lily, suck faces like we were at some trashy high school dance. Xander and Sofia were sharing a slow dance to an unfamiliar song. Ana and Jack left an hour ago because Ana's feet were hurting. And Luke's hour passed and he still was not here. Ashton hadn't responded to my text either. I was beginning to feel like a silly wallflower.

Most of the helium inflated balloons were now on the floor and some guests were finding entertainment by stepping on them and popping them.

When my phone vibrated I was all too quick to grab it and check the notification, only to be let down when I read Jet's name on my lock screen.

Jet: I needed to talk to you, so I went to your place and knocked for a good five minutes until your hot neighbor told me you were out of town. Why didn't you say anything??

Me: well for starters, i did not think we were that close. so why would my whereabouts concern you?

I wanted to be really daring and blunt via text message, but I could not send something as risky as what I typed. I held my thumb over the blue send button, running through every possible response I would get back, that screamed Jet.

"Yellow roses for the Greek Goddess."

And there was Luke on one knee, holding out a bouquet of yellow roses with his eyes squeezed shut as if he was preparing for me to slap him across the face for being late. I looked behind him, hoping to see Ashton nervously standing behind him, but I never really got what I wanted. Instead, I saw Arina walking off to the bathroom for her usual bathroom break. Figures he'd bring her. It was only a matter of time until his bathroom break came up too.

I took the bouquet that was still in its plastic wrapper around the stems, "I'm beyond flattered, but it's not my birthday, Hemmings."

"Oh, Kozma, if it was up to me, it would be your birthday everyday." He fell in the seat next to me. His next move could be grouped as a 'douche move' because he held up a shiny silver spoon, checking his quiff in the tiny reflection. I kept looking over my shoulder, praying to anyone listening that Ashton was here and just playing a sick game.

"Aren't you just a ball of sweetness tonight?" I took the card from the flowers, flashing the light from my phone to read the message.

I'm sorry I'm late :( please forgive me.

"I try." He shrugged, taking a piece of potato in his mouth, smirking as he chewed because he knew how much I hated when people ate off my plate.

"Talia!" Liz walked over to the table. "Oh, Luke, didn't expect you to be here..."

Luke stood to hug his mom, who I believed he has not seen since May, maybe June. "Last minute thing."

"Give me your phone, Talia." She held her hand out. "I'll take a picture of the two of you."

I wasn't in the mood for a picture, but no one could win a fight against Luke's mom. I was blinded by the flash since my eyes had adjusted to the darkness.

Another Instagram post wouldn't be so bad.

tkozmaa: look who showed up! @luke_is_a_peniguin (last picture for today, i swear)

Liz went back to taking pictures of anything and Luke and I's conversation died out as Luke finished the last bits of food on my plate and Arina joined us at the table. I was certain she knew I didn't have a soft spot for her in my body, so she sat quietly. She shared a few smiles with Luke when they would make eye contact, scrunching her face.

I hid my phone away in my clutch, so I had no desires to send any risky texts that would get me in trouble. It wasn't like Ashton was going to respond to my text anyway. I might as well enjoy myself while I was here and not mop around too much. If Luke showed up, why wasn't Ashton trailing a few steps behind? It made no sense to me. I would get a migraine thinking about how nothing added up.

The DJ was on a roll with the slow music, playing the third slow song in a row. With every new song playing, more people would go back to their seats. Did the DJ realize he was killing this party?

"Where's Ashton?" I question over the music.

Arina was on her third or fourth bathroom break of the night. Luke had just gotten back from his second. Did I want to talk to Luke while he was high? Had I ever knowingly had a conversation with Luke while he was high? I tried to think about as far as I could with his history with Arina.

"Who?" Luke scrunched his nose then softened his features out. He was playing stupid.

"Ashton? Your best friend? The drummer? Ashton Irwin?"

Was I actually the one playing stupid? Had I missed something since getting to Malibu? Was I just boo-boo the fucking fool?

He shrugged, gulping down the champagne I let get hot from sitting in front of my plate too long. "Never heard of him."

"Lu-" My plan to set a stern tone and question Luke was interrupted when he yanked me up from my chair and pulled me to the dance floor.

"Lets dance!"

Luke moved to the beat of Teenage Icon, holding my hands in his and trying to get me to dance as well. My actions were limp in return and I rolled my eyes during his jumping session. He didn't know how to dance, he hated dancing. I could tell he was trying to whip out every card to get me distracted from Ashton's absence and make me feel better. He was failing. I was starting to feel worse if anything. Between Luke being high and Ashton not being here, I didn't see any reason to feel great. I knew Luke could tell though.

God I'm so obvious and I should let it go.