Chapter 3-Fleeting Freedom

Morning came all to soon for the restless girl and day took hold of the world. Dragging her tired body out of bed had been a daunting task as she was still stiff in fear. Now her aching body sits at the dining table, trying her best to stomach her breakfast.

Kitsune simply eyed the plate of toast and bacon sitting in front of her. She took a piece of bacon in her hand and raised it to her mouth. She almost wanted to gag at the normally delicious smell that greeted her nose. Forcing herself to put the bit sized piece in her mouth she swallowed, immediately she felt ready to throw up. It was to much. She couldn't shake the dream.

Instead of trying to stomach more of the offending food she pushed the plate away from her position and declared.
"I'm going to go check on Moon."

Any friendly chatter around the little table ceased as the family watched her leave the room. A look of worry crossed the parents faces as they looked at each other, a message flying between them.
'Is she okay?'

............

It was as if the animals felt her fear.

She watched the horses dance around their stalls and constantly toss their heads. The cows outside aren't as relaxed as usual, they would only walk around in a tight herd and barely stop to graze. She had noticed the quietness of the world.

As if it were holding its breath.

She needed to clear her mind, she couldn't stand it anymore. So with a quiet but firm call to her steed he came to an abrupt stop in his pacing and made his way to the door of the roomy stall. Kitsune already had a lead in hand and had it clipped to the bridle in a matter of seconds before opening the door with nimble hands and leading the horse along.

In no more than 5 minutes did she have the young colt tacked and standing outside the door to the little cottage. Mumbling a command to the now eager horse she made her way inside before grabbing a backpack from her room and filling it with some food and water. Running by the living room she called out, "I'm gonna go on a ride, I'll be back before dinner." Then she was already halfway through the door.

If she had noticed the worried looks on her parents faces she didn't act like it as she simply kept walking. Before they're minds could wrap around what their daughter told them she was already gone.

________________________

She needed this.

The feel of the wind running its quick fingers through her hair. Feeling the majestic beast underneath her own fragile body. The fleeting sense of security.

This brief moment of freedom.

She can never feel this way anywhere else. It's only the open fields that come close to encouraging it.

It felt like all her worries floated away on the playful wind that danced around her face. Like she could just forget about everything and start over.

Like the dream never happened.

Nothing but open fields in all directions and clear crystal blue sky as far as the eye could see. This is what she lived for.

A few more minutes into riding the plain horizon was broken by a wide, fast flowing creek. The moment the obstacle came into her line of vision she dug her heels into the side of her horse, and in response speed increased. The stream was quickly approaching and every second they got faster. Faster and faster till it stopped. The feel of Echo's strong gallop vanished as the pair went airborne.

Strong muscles flexed as the horse took off into the sky. Everything in that moment seemed to slow down to a halt.

It felt like flying.

Tasting the exquisite feel of the freedom birds have as they take flight for the first time. Oh how much the girl wanted to stay here forever, frozen in time.

But it came to an end all to quickly.

Soon the thud of the horses large hooves was heard and the abrupt halt felt. Gravity took a crushing hold as it's greedy hands brought the pair back to earth. It felt like reality smacked her in the face once again as she slowed her steed to a halt.

Jumping off the horse she grabbed the saddle bag and tossed it to the ground.

Taking care to untack him and carefully lay the tack on the ground in a way to not ruin it. She patted the strong muscles underneath the skin of his neck before turning away to the saddle bag on the ground. Out of the corner of her eye she watched the horse make its way to the creek and take some greedy gulps of the crystal clear liquid before returning to the green grass and helping himself to a snack.

Unpacking her bag, she helped herself to her own water and a single sandwich with strawberry jelly.

She didn't know how long she sat there, in the green fields, just staring at the sky. But she did, and by the time she came to from her daze, her horse was no where in sight. A loud groan erupted from the girls mouth as she sent a silent prayer to the walls. All she wanted was for the horse to come to her the first time so she didn't have to find him.

Standing up she slowly brought her fingers to her mouth and let out a long ear piercing whistle followed by two short ones.

Seconds passed.

She was starting to lose hope, and just as she was about to set off the familiar sound of thudding hooves greeted her ears.

"Oh thank the walls!!" She sighed just before Echo greeted her with a nose bump to the head. A small giggle erupted from the violet eyed girls mouth as she patted his neck in return.

Deciding it was about time to go, she saddled him up. Carefully placing the English styled attire on the rock still beast, it wasn't long before the pair were on their way home and another day came to a close.

If only she heard the distant sound of rumbling.

Things might have been different.