Chapter 16-Run Again

Tears came to her eyes as she ran her fingers over the smooth leather of the sheath in I similar way her father did that same day.

Looks like I'm getting this a good half a year early dad.

The salty water fell in slow drops down her face.

And I will be the last in this family to wield it.

She gently put the blade in the bag before wiping the liquid off of her cheeks with her slender fingers. She had done a lot of crying tonight, and she was done with it. Enough tears had been shed to last days, and she was wasting precious time weeping like this.

Sucking in a deep breath she walked out of the closet, not even sparing a glance to the room her parents used to own as she walked into the hallway. Making her way to the kitchen she slammed open a cabinet and shoveled the last of the medical items into another pocket.

Taking a step to the left she slid open a smaller drawer by the sink, carefully picking up a revolver pistol. She carefully brought it to her face, examining the intricate carvings on the grip.

It was beautiful flowers and vines, winding around the grip, the beautiful dark wood feeling smooth to the touch. She pulled it away from her face before sliding it into the last pocket on the left side of the bag.

She closed the flap over the contents, buckling it in the certain places before shifting it in her arms and opening the right side, reveling the four more pockets. Her hands dropped all the bullets she could find in the first pocket along with a couple flint stones before leaving the kitchen, grabbing a few canteens on her way out.

The next, and last place she went was her room. Going into the closet and shoving all of the clothes she had into two of the pockets and putting shoes into the last one. she closed the bag completely, zipping zippers and buttoning all the buttons.

Once she was sure everything was secure she tossed it onto her bed before crouching next to it. Reaching under she pulled out a bow and quiver, holding a great amount of arrows. She connected the quiver to her belt, making sure it was secure before tossing her bow on her back, next to the rifle.

Only when she was sure she wouldn't lose anything did she reach for the larger bag, hefting the full thing into her arms. Grunting from the strain she waited a moment to balance herself before adjusting the bag in her arms.

Jesus Christ this is heavy.

A scowl decorated her face as she walked out of the room and down the hall. When she got to he door she opened it with her foot, happy to find that Sand dollar had stayed where she left him. She attempted to swing the fucking heavy bag onto his back, but yelped in surprise when it only came back to her.

Damnit! I knew it would be heavy when I was done, but this is ridiculous!

Readying herself next to the horse again, she swung with much more force, happy when she got half of it on. Letting out a breath she didn't know she was holding she froze when it started slipping the wrong way. She was in action again, quickly securing it with various straps and buckles.

She felt herself sigh in relief as she stepped back, admiring her work before nodding in approval and taking the horses lead in her hands. Now all she had to do was get back, it was only a 30 min ride at a good pace, moving at a gallop cuts about 10 minutes.

She felt hope rise in the pit of her stomach, maybe, just maybe, she might make it back. A smile graced her face at the thought, there was hope in this cruel world after all.

When she made it back to Echo she did a mental checklist, making she she didn't miss anything important.

She had a means to start fire, plenty off flint stones will assure her of that. Plenty pf weapons were packed, along with all the bullets on this homestead, so she knew she would be able to hunt and protect herself. She had a sleeping bag, a way for her to escape the harsh fingers of the cold. Clothes, canteens, everything she could think of.

Nodding her head to herself she released the long lead from her fingers until she was holding the very end of it. Gripping the rope in her hands she climbed into the saddle, situating herself until comfortable between the bags. She took in a deep breath before urging the horse forward, easing into pace and constantly looking back to make sure Sand Dollar was keeping up.

The sharp violet eyes only looked forward, abandoning the home of the past, cutting all ties with the land. She would never come back and she knew it. She had everything she needed, so the ignored the nagging feeling in her stomach, telling her to look back and gaze upon the land. To drink in the sight and remember every detail.

She didn't want to remember though.

This place only brings back painful memories, she didn't want to relive them. So she rode forward, leaving the land further in the past with every beat of the horses hooves.White hair traveled over the fields before being swallowed by the dark forest, only to never return again.

This wasn't her home anymore.