Chapter 4

Mara’s debate was a long and heated one. It was a constant back and forth of rebuttals, denials, counter attacks, repudiations, and disclaimers. The topic had been whether or not it was fair that the abnegation were allotted so much power by getting to be in charge of the government.

                With Mara speaking for ‘pro-abnegation’, she cited her facts reverently and with passion. With abnegation devoted to forgetting themselves and thinking only of others, Mara defended that they made the best people for government because they’d be incorruptible. Her opponent James allude to the fact that it was a mistake to give anyone that much power because it would eventually lead to fraud.

                Though both sides argued with confidence and zeal, Mara ended up winning the debate by a landslide. Beaming, she’d received our applause with true bliss in her eyes. If there was ever anything Mara loved more than debating, it was winning.

                “Thank you both for your honestly, and thank you for the lively debate. It is through demonstrations such as these that we may voice our observations and show our community what we believe. And even though there is a winner, we shall all choose our own way of thinking and not be afraid to voice our opinions,” the mediator said as he signaled the end of the event.

                “Did you see? I was amazing wasn’t I!” Mara said when everyone had filed out of the room.

                “Not too bad Mara,” Danny teased, pretending to be unimpressed.

                “Downplaying my splendor is bordering on a lie,” Mara snapped at Danny with an eye roll.

                “You did fantastic sweetie,” my mother chimed in, wrapping her arms around Mara.

                “You did great, that other guy didn’t stand a chance,” I agreed.

                Mara beamed and then continued to rattle off how she’d been certain she’d win. Honestly, it was easy to see why sometimes the other factions considered us boastful and overly confident. Her talent was genuine though, so no one was really bothered by her constant bragging.

                After making our way out of the Merciless Mart, we walked along the quiet paths of our sector. The sun was beginning to set, casting a lovely shade of pink and orange over the city. Everything looked picturesque; bathed in a coat of tangible calm and tranquility.

                A series of glass buildings surrounded our faction’s headquarters, and at each of these buildings a set of three families were assigned a complete floor to themselves as a living space. Passing through the doors of the lower lobby, we all piled into the elevator and hit the button that said three.

                My mother, Mara and I all lived on the top floor of the building, while Danny technically lived on the second level; though, since his father was rarely around, he mostly stayed with us. The lower floor was occupied by the Boon family; a lovely candor couple who had two younger daughters named Vera and Annie.

                As the elevator doors slid open with a ding, we all filed out and then waited as my mother opened the door.

                “So what’s for dinner Mrs.Stronghold?” Danny asked as he proceeded to fling himself on the couch and kick off his shoes.

                Mara grabbed a nearby pillow and chucked it at Danny.

               “Is that all you ever think about?” she chided with a laugh as she walked over to join our mom in the kitchen.