Chapter 41

Darkness; that was all that seemed to exist as I opened my eyes and took in the new scene around me. The last thing I could remember clearly was the needle poking into my skin, and the metal chair that was once beneath me. After that everything was a blur.

               Simulation; my brain provided after I struggled to grasp at the wisps of my fogged memory. Yes, that was it; I was in another one of my fears that had been brought to life. Momentarily, I wondered what my new horror awaited me, and how exactly I would go about conquering it without being as obvious as I had been the previous day.

                When is this going to start? I wondered absently.

                There was absolutely nothing; the scene continued to be that of a vastly black expanse, without noise or any sign of life. No matter how furiously I blinked and rubbed at my eyes, I couldn’t make sense of anything. It most certainly wasn’t a fear of the dark, because even as a child I’d never been one to need a nightlight.

                I was about to take a step forward in an attempt to find my way around the place, but almost immediately I heard my boot make a dull thunk. Holding my hand out in front of my face, I gingerly ran my fingers across the surface before me. It seemed to be a wall made out of solid wood, with sharp splintery pieces jutting out occasionally.

                “Damn,” I muttered quietly, yanking my hand back when I felt a splinter break free and dig into my palm. I turned to walk the opposite way. Surely, there had to be a door.

                Thunk.

                I’d only just turned around and shifted forward when I ran into yet another wall. I’d been so sure there was going to be more space I had actually smacked my nose before I’d realized what was going on. I held my hands out tentatively, and again I was greeted with a wall of wicked splinters, one of which had managed to work its way under my fingernail.

                My pulse was steadily rising, and I could’ve sworn the air felt muggier. The door, where was the door? I needed to find a way out, I needed to leave.

                Thunk. Thunk.

                My pulse could no longer be considered merely fast, no, that would’ve been the understatement of the century. It was wild and frantic, nearly painful as it thudded against my ribs.

                “Hey! Let me out!” I shouted, my growing terror clear in my voice. “Help! Someone!” My mind was no longer mine to control, all I could think was that I was trapped.

                I’m in a box. I’m in a box. I’m in a fucking box. My subconscious screamed in horror.

                To my left, to my right, everywhere I turned there was a wall. And even when I tried to jump and touch the ceiling all I could find was another barricade. I was about to try kicking my way out when suddenly my world shifted; I was no longer on my feet but instead laying on my back.

                Angry slivers of the wood pricked and worked their way into the exposed skin of my neck and arms; it was as if they were alive and attacking me, angry that I dared lay on them. I wrapped my arms around my torso, hoping to stop any more splinters from digging in, and it was then that I realized my box was being moved. The sensation was clear, a steady too and fro; someone, or rather a group of someone’s, were moving my container.

                “Hello? Hey, help! Let me out!” I yelled, kicking my feet out at the wall above me.

                There was no response though. The sound of my erratic pulse was deafening in my ears. I had to get out. There was a loud thud as my container was dropped, and I wondered if maybe whoever had been outside had taken notice of me.