Chapter 35

After Finn had explained part of what he had hidden up his sleeve, we’d wasted no time in solidifying a plan and then setting out to gather the necessary supplies. While Biff and Dan had distracted two of the guards with idle chit-chat, Finn, Jude and I managed to sneak behind them and find the dauntless armory.

                Once I’d finished picking the lock, a helpful skill I’d learned when I was a young boy in candor, I had stayed to guard the door. Finn and Jude had rushed in and then moments later emerged with five unusually shaped backpacks. Then we’d reunited with the others and exited the compound through a backdoor.

                Emerging from the ground, only a couple hundred yards from the glass building that stood above the Pit, we broke into a run and headed towards the train tracks that were nearby. The train was already passing, and we had to really pick up the pace to make it into the last car. It was fine though, since if we’d arrived any sooner the group of dauntless who’d decided to go zip-lining would’ve seen us.

                During the train ride, Finn revealed a little more of his plan and the risks involved. Since he’d been a kid, he’d always loved the rush of adrenaline he got from performing daring feats; in fact, he’d just barely turned thirteen when he’d first gone zip-lining. This didn’t surprise me, and as he continued to explain, I began to get a real sense of who he was.

                “All that sounds amazing. Haha, when I was thirteen, the biggest thing I ever did was nab an ice-cream bar from a grocery store.” I said with a laugh; feeling non-too impressive.

                “An ice-cream bar? Hah, nice, did you get caught?” Finn asked.

                “Of course. The second I got home with chocolate on my face my mom asked me where I got it. I said I stole it, and then she’d made me go back and pay for it.”

                Finn actually let out a snort as he laughed, and even Jude cracked a smile.

                “Why did you even tell her?-“ Biff began to ask before Dan cut him off.

                “Dude, candor, remember?” Dan said.

                “Yeah, yeah, I forget sometimes that you two came from the land of black and white.” Biff grinned. “That must’ve sucked, having to tell the truth all the time.”

                Dan and I shared a look, and then chuckled, shaking our heads in unison.

                “It was our way of life, the norm. It wasn’t any weirder for us to blurt out every thought that crossed our minds than it would be for you to pick up a gun and shoot at a target.” I explained.

                Biff and Jude had nodded; but I could tell they still couldn’t quite wrap their heads around the concept of complete and unbarred honesty. Shortly, they started up a conversation with Dan, comparing other childhood stories, and I’d been surprised to see that Finn was still staring at me attentively.

                “Can I ask you something?” He asked, and after I’d nodded, continued. “How’s it been going for you here, in dauntless? And I don’t mean about your fights, or rank, but –well– you know, with the whole adjustment process?”

                For an instant, my guard was up and all of my senses rang on high alert; it was a lot of questions, and I had yet to find any clues that would lead me to finding the spy in dauntless. However, as I observed him, reading his every expression and body-motion, I couldn’t help but trust that he wasn’t the one after me; he was merely curious.